Migrating to SYCL
One-stop forum for getting assistance migrating your existing code to SYCL
39 Discussions

Use DCP for simple cake sample

Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi, unfortunately I have a new issue with this. I created a new cmake commandline project in VS2022. This one compiles fine with the MS toolchain. Now I want to switch to the intel DPC C++ compiler. The project uses a "CMakePreset.json" file. I tried a lot of different settings, but I cannot get the intel compiler to work with this one: Here is my current preset file:

{
"version":3,
"configurePresets":[
{
"name":"windows-base",
"hidden":true,
"generator":"Ninja",
"binaryDir":"${sourceDir}/out/build/${presetName}",
"installDir":"${sourceDir}/out/install/${presetName}",
"cacheVariables":{
"CMAKE_C_COMPILER":"icx",
"CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER":"icx"
},
"condition":{
"type":"equals",
"lhs":"${hostSystemName}",
"rhs":"Windows"
}
},
{
"name":"x64-debug",
"displayName":"x64 Debug",
"inherits":"windows-base",
"architecture":{
"value":"x64",
"strategy":"external"
},
"CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE":"Debug"
}
},
{
"name":"x64-release",
"displayName":"x64 Release",
"inherits":"x64-debug",
"CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE":"Release"
}
}
]
}

I also tried:

"cacheVariables": {
"CMAKE_C_COMPILER": "dpcpp-cl",
"CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER": "dpcpp-cl"
},

The error cmake prints is:

1> [CMake] The CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake] dpcpp-cl
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake] is not a full path and was not found in the PATH.
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake] Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
1> [CMake] variable "CXX" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to the full path
1> [CMake] to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

and this is my CMakeList.txt

# CMakeList.txt : Top-level CMake project file, do global configuration
# and include sub-projects here.
#
cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.22.1)

#set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH} "C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/oneAPI/compiler/2022.0.3/windows/IntelDPCPP")
#find_package (IntelDPCPP REQUIRED)

project ("IntelTest")

# Include sub-projects.
add_subdirectory ("IntelTest")

I checked Using oneAPI Compilers with CMake* in Microsoft Visual Studio* (intel.com) , but the information in this article works with the old CMakeSettings.json only, not with the new CMakePresets.json.

How can I switch from the MS compiler to the Intel DPC C++??

To create the cake 'hello world's project I use the vs2022 project wizard: new project - cmake. It is just the simple hello world sample project, nothing else.

I used this project (attached) as a first start. I want  to develop an app that can make use of the GPU (if available) otherwise  fall back to CPU operations. So I think that the DPC C++ compiler is what I'm looking for. I need to use cmake (VS-solutions is not an option) since the existing parts of the app are already using cmake for windows and linux.

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

0 Kudos
18 Replies
ManjulaC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

>>How can I switch from the MS compiler to the Intel DPC C++??

Could you please confirm whether you have installed Intel oneAPI Basetoolkit and successfully integrated it with Visual Studio.

If not, please find the below link to install them.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/using-oneapi-compilers-with-cmake-in-visual-studio.html

Can you try building your project from the command line in windows using the below reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/intel-dpcpp-compatibility-tool-user-guide/top/migrate-a-project/migrate-a-project-on-windows.html

You can refer the below application example for configuring and building the project with CMake in Visual Studio.

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples/tree/bed8a563ace4a31d00a4f1055f65d680fa4fe0a8/DirectProgramming/DPC%2B%2B/GraphTraversal/hidden-markov-models

Hope the provided details will help you to resolve your issues.

Regards,

Manjula

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Manjula,

thanks for your fast reply. Here is what I did:

- Install new windows 11 with all updates

- Install Studio Community 2022 (64-bit) - Version 17.1.5 (native C++ and cmake)

- Install latest Intel oneAPI Basetoolkit

I use Project-Wizard to create a oneAPI application (DPCPPConsoleApplication) and the MS cmake sample application. Both compile and run file without any issues. We use VS 2022 as the development / debugging environment and our projects uses cmake with CMakePresets.json (not the old CMakeSettings.json!)

What we need is the oneAPI sample app (DPCPPConsoleApplication) as cmake project that I can open with VS2022 as folder and that can use the DPC C++ compiler - not the MS VC.

So to your questions:

- yes, I installed intel oneAPI Basetoolkit

- the information to your second link helps to convert a MS SOLUTION into a DPC SOLUTION). We have and use cmake projects. I do not have any Solution that I can convert. Also the target is again a solution - not a cmake project.

- does not compile as cmake project under VS 2022:

>------ Build All started: Project: hidden-markov-models, Configuration: x64-debug ------
[1/2] Building CXX object CMakeFiles\hidden-markov-models.dir\src\hidden-markov-models.cpp.obj
FAILED: CMakeFiles/hidden-markov-models.dir/src/hidden-markov-models.cpp.obj
dpcpp-cl /nologo /TP /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc -O3 -fsycl -std=c++17 /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1 /showIncludes /FoCMakeFiles\hidden-markov-models.dir\src\hidden-markov-models.cpp.obj /FdCMakeFiles\hidden-markov-models.dir\ /FS -c T:\oneAPI-samples-master\oneAPI-samples-master\DirectProgramming\DPC++\GraphTraversal\hidden-markov-models\src\hidden-markov-models.cpp
CreateProcess failed: The system cannot find the file specified.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

Build All failed.

Best would be a small hello world project that can be used, developed and debugged under VS2022, open as folder project(cmake) and uses the intel DPC C++ compiler. That would be really helpful.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Manjula,

maybe we can start much easier. Is there any way to compile this c++ program:

using namespace std;

int main()

{

cout << "Hello CMake." << endl;

return 0;

}

with CMAKE and the Intel oneAPI base toolkit dpcpp compiler using the intel command line: 

„C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Intel oneAPI 2022\ Intel oneAPI command prompt for Intel 64 for Visual Studio 2022“

Here a quick summary what I did:

What I did is this:

- Install a new Windows 11 with all updates
- Install latest VS2022 community Edition with c++ and cmake support
- Install latest Intel oneAPI base toolkit for Windows with all Options

I create the cmake sample c++ commandline application with: ‘File->New->Project…’. Then pick ‘CMake Project’:

Daniel_D_0-1651146577758.png

I modified the CMakePreset.json to Point to the dpcpp Compiler (Project attached to this mail) as described on this page:

Using oneAPI Compilers with CMake* in Microsoft Visual Studio* (intel.com)

"CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER": "dpcpp"
},

and change the Project CMakeLists.txt to include: find_package(IntelDPCPP REQUIRED).

Running ‚cmake‘ from the Intel commandline I get Errors like this:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package):
Found package configuration file:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/oneAPI/compiler/latest/windows/IntelDPCPP/IntelDPCPPConfig.cmake

but it set IntelDPCPP_FOUND to FALSE so package "IntelDPCPP" is considered
to be NOT FOUND. Reason given by package:

Unsupported compiler family and compiler !!

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I append the complete project to this reply.

Do you see any way that I can use the intel compiler with cmake for this program?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner
Hi. Yes, I did. But this article is about vs solutions, not cmake projects. So it is not what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Daniel
0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

Your question has been escalated and we'll work on it internally. We will get back to you when we have a solution.

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

Please change the generator to Visual Studio generator and set toolset to DPC++ compiler in CMakePreset.json.

Please refer to the modified CMakePresets.json:

{

"version": 3,

"configurePresets": [

{

"name": "windows-base",

"hidden": true,

"generator": "Visual Studio 17 2022",

"binaryDir": "${sourceDir}/out/build/${presetName}",

"installDir": "${sourceDir}/out/install/${presetName}",

},

"toolset": {

"value": "Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++ Compiler 2022",

"strategy": "set"

},

"condition": {

"type": "equals",

"lhs": "${hostSystemName}",

"rhs": "Windows"

}

},

{

"name": "x64-debug",

"displayName": "x64 Debug",

"inherits": "windows-base",

"architecture": {

"value": "x64",

},

"CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE": "Debug"

}

},

{

"name": "x64-release",

"displayName": "x64 Release",

"inherits": "x64-debug",

"CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE": "Release"

}

}

]

}

Furthermore, please refer to the modified CMakeList.txt:

#

cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.22.1)

#set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH} "C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/oneAPI/compiler/2022.0.3/windows/IntelDPCPP")

project ("IntelTest" CXX)

# Include sub-projects.

add_subdirectory ("IntelTest")

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/cmake-presets-vs?view=msvc-170#select-your-generator

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi ayu1,

sorry for my late reply, but I was on a business trip for some days. I did what you suggested and modified the CMakePresets.json as you suggested.

I also changed my CMakeLists.txt from:

cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.22) to cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.22.1).

From what I understand you commented out the path to the "IntelDPCPPConfig.cmake" file:

Unfortunately my system gives me this error-message:

1> Command line: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" /c "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\chcp.com 65001 >NUL && "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2022\COMMUNITY\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\CMAKE\CMake\bin\cmake.exe"  -G "Ninja"  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="Debug" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:STRING="T:/Development/IntelTest/out/install/Windows x64 Debug"  -DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM="C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2022\COMMUNITY\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\CMAKE\Ninja\ninja.exe" "T:\Development\IntelTest" 2>&1"
1> Working directory: T:/Development/IntelTest/out/build/Windows x64 Debug
1> [CMake] CMake Error at T:\Development\IntelTest\CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package):
1> [CMake]   By not providing "FindIntelDPCPP.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
1> [CMake]   has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
1> [CMake]   "IntelDPCPP", but CMake did not find one.
1> [CMake] 
1> [CMake]   Could not find a package configuration file provided by "IntelDPCPP" with
1> [CMake]   any of the following names:
1> [CMake] 
1> [CMake]     IntelDPCPPConfig.cmake
1> [CMake]     inteldpcpp-config.cmake
1> [CMake] 
1> [CMake]   Add the installation prefix of "IntelDPCPP" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
1> [CMake]   "IntelDPCPP_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
1> [CMake]   "IntelDPCPP" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
1> [CMake]   been installed.
1> [CMake] 
1> [CMake] 
1> [CMake] -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
1> [CMake] See also "T:/Development/IntelTest/out/build/Windows x64 Debug/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
1> 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' '/c "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\chcp.com 65001 >NUL && "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2022\COMMUNITY\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\CMAKE\CMake\bin\cmake.exe"  -G "Ninja"  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="Debug" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:STRING="T:/Development/IntelTest/out/install/Windows x64 Debug"  -DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM="C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2022\COMMUNITY\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\CMAKE\Ninja\ninja.exe" "T:\Development\IntelTest" 2>&1"' execution failed with error: ''C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' '/c "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\chcp.com 65001 >NUL && "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2022\COMMUNITY\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\CMAKE\CMake\bin\cmake.exe"  -G "Ninja"  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="Debug" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:STRING="T:/Development/IntelTest/out/install/Windows x64 Debug"  -DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM="C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2022\COMMUNITY\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\CMAKE\Ninja\ninja.exe" "T:\Development\IntelTest" 2>&1"' returned with exit code: 1'.

So I tried to fix this problem by uncommenting and changing 2022.0.3 with my version and also with "latest":

to:

set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH} "C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/oneAPI/compiler/latest/windows/IntelDPCPP")

find_package (IntelDPCPP REQUIRED)

But this does not make any difference - the problem still exits.

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Can you also provide information how to change the presets file to use the IntelDPC compiler for a build on a remote linux system. I already installed the base toolkit on the linux machine.

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

Since there's no further update, I'm closing this ticket for now. Please feel free to reopen or report a new ticket is necessary.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi ayu1,

can you please reopen this ticket since I'm not able to get DPCPP working? I see no option how I can reopen this ticket as you suggested. Please see my reply above.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

Have you also changed your CMakePresets.json to use dpcpp-cl and visual studio generator? Please refer to my CMakePresets.json posted earlier. Please also update/repair your visual studio for the latest change.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi, yes I did what you suggested. Please find attached the output and my CMakePreset file (I changed the extention from json to txt for the upload). As you can see I can use MSVC and CLANG without any issue in my project. I also use VS2022 with all available updates:

Daniel_D_0-1655350386168.png

Can you see any issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi,

I think the problem is the missing path to your intel compiler in the VS2022 ide/cmake environment. As you can see in the output.txt file I attached earlier the PATH environment var does not include any entry for the DPCPP compiler - so the system cannot find it. The only 'intel - oneAPI' related path entries are these:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\tbb\latest\redist\intel64\vc_mt\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\tbb\latest\redist\ia32\vc_mt\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler;

CMAKE cannot find the dpcpp-cl.exe file which is located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\bin

You might also find the attached error-log from cmake useful. It says that there is a cpp compiler selected for 'C':
# error "A C++ compiler has been selected for C."

Does that help?

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

Hi, can you please check one whether your Visual Studio has been properly integrated with Intel compiler? Can you see "Intel" under "Extensions?"

I read your CMakePresets.json file and found it's quite different from what I've showed you. For example, you're setting your generator to use both Ninja and Visual Studio 17. Can you please give us a use case on what you're trying to achieve?

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi,

yes, I see the Intel submenu under Extensions. I use Ninja for MSVC and CLANG. DPCPP uses the VS 2017 generator as your suggested. I already use some functions from IPP in my project.

Yes, I did not remove the configuration for MSVC and CLANG since they work. I can remove them, but the result is exactly the same. Nothing of these configurations is active if I use the DOCPP compiler. I named it "Windows x64 Debug (DPCPP)" so that I can easily select the configuration I want in the IDE. This configurations inherits from "windows-base" which is exactly the configuration you send. All other information are unused if I select  the DPCPP config.

{
   "name": "windows-base",
   "hidden": true,
   "generator": "Visual Studio 17 2022",
   "binaryDir": "${sourceDir}/out/build/${presetName}",
   "installDir": "${sourceDir}/out/install/${presetName}",
   "architecture": {
      "value": "x64",
   },
   },
   "toolset": {
      "value": "Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++ Compiler 2022",
   },
   "condition": {
      "type": "equals",
      "lhs": "${hostSystemName}",
      "rhs": "Windows"
      }
   },

{
   "name": "Windows x64 Debug (DPCPP)",
   "displayName": "DPCPP - Windows x64 Debug",
   "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE": "Debug"
   }
},
   {
   "name": "Windows x64 Release (DPCPP)",
   "displayName": "DPCPP - Windows x64 Release",
      "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE": "Release"
   }
}

I changed the generator for MSVC and CLANG to uses the VS generator as well, but the result is still the same. The result is the same:

> [CMake] -- Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.19041.0 to target Windows 10.0.22000.
1> [CMake] -- The C compiler identification is unknown
1> [CMake] CMake Error at T:\Development\Intel-Test\CMakeLists.txt:10 (project):
1> [CMake] The CMAKE_C_COMPILER:
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake] dpcpp-cl
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake] is not a full path and was not found in the PATH.
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake]
1> [CMake] -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I wounder that you do not need any reference to the intel toolchain file "IntelDPCPPConfig.cmake" in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\IntelDPCPP"

I try to use the Intel DPCPP compiler to make use of the GPU for some parallel computations in my application. So far I use MSVC and CLANG without any issues.

Anything else I can do to find out why it does not work?

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

I tried your codes on CMakePresets.json and left CMakeLists.txt like the one I gave you previously:

#

cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.8)

project ("CMakeProject10" CXX)

# Include sub-projects.

add_subdirectory ("CMakeProject10")

It actually built successfully for me.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D
Beginner

Hi Ayu1,

project ("CMakeProject10" CXX)

was the problem. I have just 

project ("CMakeProject10") in my CMakeLists.txt! So without 'Language' definition cmake defaults to C and C++ ("By default C and CXX are enabled if no language options are given"). Seems like DPCPP does not support C - just CPP. I double checked and can reproduce the problem. Defining C and CXX will cause the problem again. Just CXX is supported by DPCPP (in my case).

This brings me to the next problem (compiler warnings and errors). Maybe you can give me a quick tip how I can avoid them? I use the same CMakeLists.txt I use with MSVC, GCC and CLANG - no other modification than the required CXX for 'project'.

I got hundreds of warning because __stdcall and __thiscall is not supported:

In file included from T:\\Development\\3rdParty\\boost_1_79_0\\include\boost/winapi/error_handling.hpp:15:
T:\\Development\\3rdParty\\boost_1_79_0\\include\boost/winapi/get_last_error.hpp(21,53): : warning : '__stdcall' calling convention is not supported for this target [-Wignored-attributes] [T:\Development\Intel-Test\out\build\Windows x64 Debug (DPCPP)\Intel-Test.vcxproj]
 BOOST_WINAPI_IMPORT_EXCEPT_WM boost::winapi::DWORD_ BOOST_WINAPI_WINAPI_CC GetLastError(BOOST_WINAPI_DETAIL_VOID);
^
T:\\Development\\3rdParty\\boost_1_79_0\\include\boost/winapi/basic_types.hpp(51,32): note: expanded from macro 'BOOST_WINAPI_WINAPI_CC'
#define BOOST_WINAPI_WINAPI_CC WINAPI
^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\shared\minwindef.h(128,21): note: expanded from macro 'WINAPI'
#define WINAPI __stdcall
^

T:\\Development\\3rdParty\\boost_1_79_0\\include\boost/type_traits/detail/is_member_function_pointer_cxx_11.hpp(48,43): : warning : '__thiscall' calling convention is not supported for this target [-Wignored-attributes] [T:\Development\Intel-Test\out\build\Windows x64 Debug (DPCPP)\Intel-Test.vcxproj]
 struct is_member_function_pointer<Ret (BOOST_TT_DEF_CALL C::*)(Args...)BOOST_TT_NOEXCEPT_DECL> : public true_type {};
^
T:\\Development\\3rdParty\\boost_1_79_0\\include\boost/type_traits/detail/is_member_function_pointer_cxx_11.hpp(19,27): note: expanded from macro 'BOOST_TT_DEF_CALL'
#define BOOST_TT_DEF_CALL __thiscall
^

and 2 errors:

T:\\Development\\3rdParty\\boost_1_79_0\\include\boost/config/requires_threads.hpp(82,4): : error : "Compiler threading support is not turned on. Please set the correct command line options for threading: either /MT /MTd /MD or /MDd" [T:\Development\Intel-Test\out\build\Windows x64 Debug (DPCPP)\Intel-Test.vcxproj]
# error "Compiler threading support is not turned on. Please set the correct command line options for threading: either /MT /MTd /MD or /MDd"
^

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.32.31326\atlmfc\include\atlalloc.h(621,5): : error : SEH '__try' is not supported on this target [T:\Development\Intel-Test\out\build\Windows x64 Debug (DPCPP)\Intel-Test.vcxproj]
__try
^

Do you have any idea how I can fix them?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Alex_Y_Intel

Since the original issue about building a simple DPCPP project with CMakePreset.json is resolved, I'm closing this issue from Intel side. Please feel free to discuss further questions with the forum members or open a new thread with new issues.

0 Kudos