Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

New application creation failure in NIOS II - Quartus20.1

VinayGB
Novice

I have installed Quartus 20.1 and followed instructions in n2sw_nii5v2gen2.pdf to install wsl2 and then Ubuntu and eclipse. 

In eclipse workspace, when I try to create new application and bsp from template, following error message pops up 

Failed to execute: wsl dos2unix create-this-bsp; ./create-this-bsp --cpu-name cpu_nios --no-make

Attached is the console prints when this error occurs.

Kindly support in creating new application and bsp in NIOS II - Quartus 20.1

I have tried all the solutions available in the community, like run as admin, changing between wsl1 and wsl2 and many more.

regards,

Vinay

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MViss4
Novice

Note in 19.4 when opening an 'Nios II Command Shell (Quartus Prime Pro 19.4)' command shell and running 'nios2-bsp-create-settings' results in "nios2-bsp-create-settings: command not found".
However running 'nios2-bsp-create-settings.exe' (with .exe extension) does work. 
In the Makefile there is some logic for this:

UNAME = $(shell uname -r)
ifeq ($(findstring Microsoft,$(UNAME)),Microsoft)
WINDOWS_EXE = .exe
endif

Refer to https://community.intel.com/t5/Nios-II-Embedded-Design-Suite/Error-s0-Error-during-execution-of-quot... as the uname is case dependent and only works for WSL1. 

Probably your 'nios2-bsp-create-settings' is executed without '.exe' extension you can try to adapt the Makefile to use a hardcoded ".exe" extension

Eliath_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Vinay!

Thanks for reaching us.

I see that Mviss4 has already provided you a workaround,

I'd like to know if you have tried and if this solved your issue.

and please, share with me the OS you're using ( Windows or ubuntu) and also the Quartus version.

Regards,

-Eliath

VinayGB
Novice

I am using Quartus 20.1 in Windows 10 OS.

I have installed-uninstalled-reinstalled wsl and ubuntu multiple times, but to same result.

I have not tried the work-around provided, as it is confusing. How do I adapt a makefile, if the project itself is not getting created ?

Kindly provide proper procedure to follow for creating new projcet and building it.

Please donot leave tool debugging to the users.

Kindly provide step-by-step approach of new application creation, building and debug/run.

regards,

Vinay

PS : Due to project timelines, I am forced to revert back to Quartus version 14 where Nios SBT works without any issues. Debugging NIOS SBT is not my job domain(although I had spent many days making it work). I had tried installing Quartus 20.1 and building same project in two different computers and every time I am getting new errors.

Mack
Beginner

For me, I was able to fix this by editing nios2-bsp (in C:\intelFPGA_lite\20.1\nios2eds\sdk2\bin). There's a line that checks if you're running WSL:

uname=$(uname -r)
if [[ $uname =~ "Microsoft" ]]; then
_IS_WSL=1
windows_exe=.exe
fi

On line 37, it should be changed to:

if [[ $uname =~ "microsoft" ]]; then

This then causes the script to add .exe to the end of all the executables and a few other things that fixed it for me.