Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12627 Discussions

Additional Licenses needed for Functional Safety Data Package

PAS92
Beginner

Hello,

we are currently purchasing the "IP-ABG-SAFETYDP5" to evaluate the options for functional safety development based on Cyclone5 FPGAs. It has not been delivered yet . The flyer says that a Quartus Pro Edition is already included, however, we would also like to include an additional non-safety related Nios5 Core in our design. The Nios5 is currently free of charge but does it require the latest Quartus versions?

Is it possible to add a Nios5 on top of our functional safety Nios2(Lockstep) Core with the Quartus version included in the functional safety data package or are there other licenses required?

Can the diagnostic IPs of the "IP-ABG-SAFETYDP5" also be used with the latest Quartus-Lite version?

Thanks a lot for elaborating!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. Compatibility of Nios V Core with Quartus Version:

Adding Nios V Core: You can integrate a Nios V core with the functional safety Nios II (Lockstep) core using the Quartus version included in your functional safety data package. The Nios V core, being free of charge, generally requires the latest versions of Quartus for full compatibility and functionality. Ensure you have the latest Quartus Pro version included in your package for seamless integration.

Additional Licenses: Typically, no additional licenses are required for the Nios V core itself if it is stated to be free of charge. However, using it in conjunction with other IPs or features might need proper Quartus Pro licensing, which should be covered by your functional safety data package. Verify your specific use case with Intel's support if unsure.

Use of Diagnostic IPs with Quartus-Lite:

Quartus-Lite Compatibility: Diagnostic IPs provided in the "IP-ABG-SAFETYDP5" package are generally optimized for use with Quartus Pro Edition. While some IPs may work with Quartus-Lite, the advanced features and optimizations available in Quartus Pro might not be fully accessible. For the best experience and full feature set, it's recommended to use Quartus Pro Edition as specified in the package.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. Compatibility of Nios V Core with Quartus Version:

Adding Nios V Core: You can integrate a Nios V core with the functional safety Nios II (Lockstep) core using the Quartus version included in your functional safety data package. The Nios V core, being free of charge, generally requires the latest versions of Quartus for full compatibility and functionality. Ensure you have the latest Quartus Pro version included in your package for seamless integration.

Additional Licenses: Typically, no additional licenses are required for the Nios V core itself if it is stated to be free of charge. However, using it in conjunction with other IPs or features might need proper Quartus Pro licensing, which should be covered by your functional safety data package. Verify your specific use case with Intel's support if unsure.

Use of Diagnostic IPs with Quartus-Lite:

Quartus-Lite Compatibility: Diagnostic IPs provided in the "IP-ABG-SAFETYDP5" package are generally optimized for use with Quartus Pro Edition. While some IPs may work with Quartus-Lite, the advanced features and optimizations available in Quartus Pro might not be fully accessible. For the best experience and full feature set, it's recommended to use Quartus Pro Edition as specified in the package.

0 Kudos
PAS92
Beginner

Hello

thank you very much for your answer. However i made a mistake in my original post. It's not the Pro but the Standard version that is delivered with the safety data package:
Flyer.JPG

I assume the fyler is just outdated and you get the newest available version with the package, which also enables you to use NiosV.

Now I have an additional question regarding licensing Quartus in general. It is noted on the website that there is currently only 1 ordering code for Standard and Pro version. Why is that? And is this the correct ordering number "SW-ONE-QUARTUS "?

How do you select between node-locked and floating?

I assume when you renew the safety data package via "IPR-ABG-SAFETYDP5" you also recieve the latest Quartus Standard version, but there was no option to chose between node-locked or floating during our offer.

Thank you very much for your time.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

With the SW-ONE-Quartus license, customers gain access to both Intel Quartus (Standard or Pro) and Questa-Intel FPGA Edition (paid). Customers have the option to select either a Floating or Fixed license type through the Self-Service Licensing Center.

If you need ordering number "SW-ONE-QUARTUS "costs/purchase, can go thru our distributor. Please find the contact for our sales and distributor near you from link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Since we haven't received any response from you, I assume that my previous message has provided the necessary clarification. I will now transfer this conversation to community support. If you have any new queries, please feel free to open a new thread to receive assistance from Intel experts. Alternatively, the community users will be available to assist you further on this existing thread. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

0 Kudos