Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12642 Discussions

Error in compilation with cf component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have made a system in SOPC with a compact flash component. When I try to compilate it I get this error: Error: Node instance "the_compact_flash" instantiates undefined entity "compact_flash". Does anyone know what this means? It's probably something obious that I have overlooked.  

I get the same error with a self-made component when I tried to change the design some (from VHDL to Verilog). When I get the error with the cf component the cf component comes before the self-made component and vice versa. The errors happens in the Analysis and Synthesis stage. I can't find any answers on neither this forum or Altera's support site.  

Ole Kristian
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like perhaps an HDL file that has the CF logic is missing.. "the_compact_flash" would be an instance in SOPC Builder-generated HDL... it sounds like this is trying to look for the original compact flash HDL file and cannot find it. 

Side note: A compact flash controller peripheral will be included in the Nios II installation soon.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. Thank you. It worked when I manually added the Verilog files for the Compact Flash component and my own to the files tab under settings. I would have thought that this was automatic.  

When will Altera release the next edition of Nios II? I suppose the Compact Flash interface will come with that. What kind of example code will you release? 

Ole Kristian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ole, 

Are you using the Microtronix CF component (in the 'tested IP' area of this forum)? If so check to be sure that the files are extracted properly and none are missing... I have used this several times now and the Verilog was always copied over into my design during SOPC Builder generation for me. 

The next release is 'coming soon'... Sorry I cannot be too specific, but on the engineering side we are in 'test' mode now if that gives you any indication. As for software support there will be several things: We won't have a full fledged software example in the Nios II kit this time, but there will be ways to use CF: I am going to put up some demo code to the forum that tests a CF card and does basic read/write operations (basically the same as in the Microtronix component available for download now, but I've re-factored some of the code and documenation). The eCOS port available from Altera on this forum also includes compact flash support with FAT file system; this is a free download. On the commercial side, there is Micrium's uC/FS (FAT file system support included with this as well), and I believe there is Compact Flash & linux-specific file system support in uClinux from Microtronix. All of these should work with the hardware peripheral.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jesse.  

Yes, I'm using the Microtronix CF component. I have just reinstalled it so I think all the files are there. It's no problem now when I know what to do to solve the problem. Thanks for the help.  

I'm using the Microtronix CF component together with eCos. We haven't gotten to the stage where we need to write to the FAT filesystem, but it seems to be ok. 

Do you know why there's no driver for SPI with the eCos distribution? Is it difficult to do? And it would be nice with a driver for the PIO too. We need it on our project, so I might have to write a driver for them. I could probably post the drivers here when I get them to function properly. 

Ole
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tierhon, 

> Do you know why there's no driver for SPI with the eCos distribution? 

AFAIK, nobody has contributed a port yet. 

> Is it difficult to do? 

That depends on who does the work ;-) 

See http://sourceware.org/ecos (http://sourceware.org/ecos) ... the CVS repository has documentation 

that describes the porting process (packages/io/spi/current/doc/spi.sgml 

-- there's a section entitled: "Porting to New Hardware"). 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos