Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Problem running ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I have just install Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit in my computer and I have install Quartus 2. It works well but I canꞌt use ModelSim, I recieve an error that says:  

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. Check the NativeLink log file 

And the content of this file is: 

Info: Start Nativelink Simulation process 

Info: NativeLink has detected Verilog design -- Verilog simulation models will be used 

========= EDA Simulation Settings ===================== 

Sim Mode : RTL 

Family : cycloneii 

Quartus root : /home/juan/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/linux/ 

Quartus sim root : /home/juan/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/eda/sim_lib 

Simulation Tool : modelsim-altera 

Simulation Language : verilog 

Simulation Mode : GUI 

Sim Output File :  

Sim SDF file :  

Sim dir : simulation/modelsim 

======================================================= 

Info: Starting NativeLink simulation with ModelSim-Altera software 

Sourced NativeLink script /home/juan/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/common/tcl/internal/nativelink/modelsim.tcl 

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

Error: NativeLink simulation flow was NOT successful 

================The following additional information is provided to help identify the cause of error while running nativelink scripts================= 

Nativelink TCL script failed with errorCode: issued_nl_message 

Nativelink TCL script failed with errorInfo: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

while executing 

"error "$emsg" "" "issued_nl_message"" 

invoked from within 

"if [ catch {exec $vsim_cmd -version} version_str] { 

set emsg "Can't launch $tool Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed..." 

(procedure "launch_sim" line 89) 

invoked from within 

"launch_sim launch_args_hash" 

("eval" body line 1) 

invoked from within 

"eval launch_sim launch_args_hash" 

invoked from within 

"if [ info exists ::errorCode ] { 

set savedCode $::errorCode 

set savedInfo $::errorInfo 

error $result $savedInfo $savedCode 

} else { 

..." 

invoked from within 

"if [catch {eval launch_sim launch_args_hash} result ] { 

set status 1 

if [ info exists ::errorCode ] { 

set sav..." 

(procedure "run_sim" line 78) 

invoked from within 

"run_sim run_sim_args_hash" 

invoked from within 

"if [ info exists ::errorCode ] { 

set savedInfo $::errorInfo 

error "$result" $savedInfo $savedCode 

} else { 

er..." 

(procedure "run_eda_simulation_tool" line 330) 

invoked from within 

"run_eda_simulation_tool eda_opts_hash" 

I'm new using Quartus in ubuntu so I'm a little lost, I would be grateful if you can help me. I've been looking for solutions on google and but I have not found a lot. I found something about removing the .altera folder but it doesn't work for me. Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like you installed the non-free Modelsim Altera version (with mixed VHDL/Verilog capability). You probably want to install the free Altera Starter Edition (which doesn't support mixed VHDL/Verilog simulation) and doesn't need a license file

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for your answer. I installed the free version but I have reinstalled it again and I get the same error, the project I used was only Verilog and I could simulate it in Windows. I tried to give all the permissions to the install folder of modelsim but the error is still the same. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you very much for your answer. I installed the free version but I have reinstalled it again and I get the same error, the project I used was only Verilog and I could simulate it in Windows. I tried to give all the permissions to the install folder of modelsim but the error is still the same. Thank you for your help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi 

I have the same problem and same error on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, Quartus 13.0 works well (subscription edition, with a network license), but not MultiSim-Altera, either Starter Edition or Normal Edition. 

On my previous Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, everything worked perfectly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, I'm facing the same problem and I would like a help 

I use Linux Mint 17 - 64 bit, I've installed 32 bit libraries but ModelSim still does not work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having similar problems trying to run ModelSim-Altera Starter version 14.1.0.186 on Windows 7. See attachments.

0 Kudos