OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Announcing Standalone OpenCL™ 1.2 Driver for Intel® HD, Iris™, and Iris™ Pro Graphics for Linux (64-bit)

Robert_I_Intel
Employee

I am pleased to announce the release of standalone OpenCL™ 1.2 Driver for Intel® HD, Iris™, and Iris™ Pro Graphics for Linux (64-bit).

OpenCL™ 1.2 Driver for Intel® HD, Iris™, and Iris™ Pro Graphics for Linux (64-bit)

The intel-opencl-1.2-1.0 driver for Linux exposes the general-purpose, parallel compute capabilities of Intel® graphics for OpenCL applications. Versions of this driver have previously been included as part of the Intel® Media Server Studio (MSS). In this release, we have provided the driver as a separate component for those customers who do not need a pre-integrated and pre-validation solution with the Intel® Media Server Studio (MSS). The intel-opencl-1.2-1.0 driver has a unique versioning scheme and its potential compatibility with Intel® Media Server Studio (MSS) is described in further detail in the release notes.

Intel has validated the intel-opencl-1.2-1.0 driver on CentOS 7.1 for the following 64-bit kernels.

• CentOS 7.1 Linux 3.10.0-229 kernel patched for Intel® OpenCL 1.2

• CentOS 7.1 with generic Linux 4.1 kernel patched for Intel® OpenCL 1.2

Supported OpenCL devices:

• 4th or 5th generation Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon® v3, or Intel® Xeon® v4 processor.

For detailed information please see Release Notes.

By downloading this package, you accept the End User License Agreement.

Also see here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_linux_driver

0 Kudos
11 Replies
rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for offering a standalone OpenCL driver for Intel GPUs on Linux..

can you answer some of these questions:

*some ETA on Skylake GPU Linux OpenCL support? HW has been shipping since August last year..

*still not OpenCL 2.0 for iGPU on Linux?

on Windows we have had this support on Broadwell+ for well over a year..

*some news on OpenCL 2.1 support soon? Will Broadwell support it or Skylake GPU will be needed? hope at least with first Vulkan drivers as OpenCL 2.1 requires SPIR-V similar to Vulkan..

thanks..

0 Kudos
Georg_K_
Beginner

Thanks for offering a standalone driver, it is much appreciated.

I'd like to second the call for iGPU OpenCL 2.0 on Linux. I know that the Beignet project is working on an OpenCL 2.0 implementation, but it would always be good to have another option (especially if it comes with the same debugging/profiling tools as available for Windows).

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Both Skylake support and OpenCL 2.0 support are coming this year, hopefully in the first half of it.

We are working on OpenCL 2.1 support as well, but that will come first on Windows, hopefully some time this year.

0 Kudos
Juan_Ignacio_C_
Beginner

How does this driver compare with beignet?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Juan Ignacio,

This is a production driver, so should be more high-performance than Beignet driver.

0 Kudos
rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner

Robert Ioffe (Intel) wrote:

Both Skylake support and OpenCL 2.0 support are coming this year, hopefully in the first half of it.

We are working on OpenCL 2.1 support as well, but that will come first on Windows, hopefully some time this year.

thanks for the news..

also seeing Qualcomm new Snapdragon 820 supporting OpenCL 2.0 on Android wondering if Intel may support/enable OpenCL 2.0 on Android in 2016 for Intel Atom processors.. assuming they are capable enough which might be.. as latest Atom for Android like Intel Atom x5 Z8300 SoC is Gen8 graphics like Broadwell which supports OCL 2.0 right?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Intel Atom x5 Z8300 SoC does not support OpenCL 2.0 and will not support it in the future.

However, upcoming Intel Atom chips will support OpenCL 2.0.

0 Kudos
rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner

thanks!

0 Kudos
Ravishekhar_Banger_

Does this driver support Intel Skylake graphics as of Today? You mentioned it would be supported in the first half. 

I had been trying to install OpenCL drivers on my i7-6820HQ processor. But my HD graphics is not listing in the opencl devices with the CapsBasic utility.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Ravishekhar,

This driver does not support Skylake, but we have a driver internally already that supports Skylake, hopefully, will release it within a week or so. Please watch this space. Thank you for your patience!

0 Kudos
krivonos__sergei
Beginner

Thank, you! How to make it work under Parallels VM?

0 Kudos