OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

HELP: i915 does not OpenCL(ing) anymore

mike_p_4
Beginner

Hi,

I use Ubuntu 14.04, no X Windows, I have installed the driver as for the installation guide, I have installed the OpenCL sdk as for the installation guide, I have installed the patched kernel 4.4 as for the installation guide, and everything worked a charm when I tested.

After the test of OpenCL, I did not use OpenCL for a while, and after few days, I tried again with several applications, and what I got is just hangs, nothing happens, apart from the cursor blinking. 

I checked if the kernel was still the patched one, and it is, I re-installed the modules, but still the same.

How do I troubleshoot the issue?  Can apt update and upgrade broke the OpenCL system?

I have attached a strace log file

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Yes, it is possible that components have been overwritten.  Some first steps you can try:

• Verify you've booted into the modified kernel, and that i915 is still loading.
  • Make sure that there is only one libdrm on the system, and that it is the one shipped with the OpenCL driver. In cases like this I usually remove all versions of libdrm and re-install the OpenCL user-mode components (etc, usr, lib, opt, etc.)
  • Check your install with the Platform/Device Capabilities Viewer Sample.  If you have a supported processor it should show that a CPU and GPU device are available.

This system analyzer script may help you diagnose: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mss-sys-analyzer-linux

0 Kudos
mike_p_4
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks, yes I have already done all that, kernel is the same, i915 is loaded, I have re-installed the OpenCL components.

As for libdrm, it is the only installed (libdrm2).

As I said, it was working when I finished installing driver, patched kernel and sdk, but after few days when I tried again to run several OpenCL program, Platform/Device Capabilities Viewer Sample included, it hangs.

As for the sys analyzer, everything up to Media Server Studio Install is ok, then 

Media Server Studio Install:
OK user in video group
ERROR libva.so.1 not found. Check LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains '/usr/lib64;/usr/local/lib'
ERROR libva not loading Intel iHD
ERROR vainfo not reporting codec entry points
INFO i915 driver in use by Intel video adapter
ERROR no libdrm include  files. Are Intel components installed?

Component Smoke Tests:
ERROR no Media SDK include files. Are Intel components installed?

and then it hangs.

Also, when I try to re-install intel_sdk I receive the error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range' 
what(): basic_string::replace
Aborted (core dumped)

Could you please check the strace file attached?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The strace file you've attached is missing an open for /dev/dri/renderD###.  On your system, what do you see with ls /dev/dri?

Without being able to open that interface, your strace shows your app is also missing all the startup steps expected after that. 

In case you'd like to try again, I've updated the system analyzer to hopefully work better for OpenCL-only installs.  https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mss-sys-analyzer-linux

0 Kudos
mike_p_4
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks again, up to this day, I really do not know what upset the system.

I solved the issue by re-installing the OS.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Glad to hear your system works again!  For others who might run into similar issues, re-installing just the OpenCL SDK and runtime/driver components may also be effective.

0 Kudos