OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Intel OpenCL SDK 1.1 gold released

ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Following the successful alpha and beta releases, which received your great feedback, we released today the gold version of the Intel OpenCL SDK 1.1 for the CPU on www.intel.com/go/opencl. This SDK is conformant with OpenCL 1.1 specification.

You are now able to use the Intel OpenCL SDK to create and distribute OpenCL based applications optimized for Intel Core and Intel Xeon processors

Please go to therelease notes and see which items that were reported in this forum are now fixed.

For more info check out theIntel OpenCL SDK 1.1 release announcement. Orclick hereto accept theproduct licenseand directly download the Intel OpenCL SDK 1.1 today.

Regards,

- Arnon Peleg
Intel OpenCL SDK Product Marketing Manager

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steve_Youngs
Beginner
Is there an end-user redistributable available that ISVs can use to install OpenCL onto an end-users PC along with their application?
The OpenCL SDK End User Licenec Agreement talks about redistributables, without explicitly saying there is one for OpenCL. I couldn't find anything obvious in the install on my PC either.
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Please check downloads page again.
Under "Intel OpenCL SDK runtime-only Downloads", you can find end-user runtime only executables that can be installed on the target machine.
Regards,
- Arnon
0 Kudos
Steve_Youngs
Beginner
Thanks. Not sure how I managed to miss them the first time!
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Your weren't the only one. We have changes the download page to be moreintuitive.
Thanks for raising it up.
0 Kudos
zhoujj
Beginner
Arnon Peleg:

I am a Ubuntu user. Conld please provide package for 32-bit operating systems(linux version)?

best wishes!

zhoujiajian
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Thanks for the inputs,
We are taking that into consideration. Yet we are not comment in this forum on features that may or may not come in future releases.
I've seen people using this SDK on ubuntu, see:
Might help.
Regards,
Arnon
0 Kudos
Gregory_J_Intel
Employee
Hi Arnon,

Small complaint about the Windows install: we really should not abort the SDK install if the host machine does not meet the OpenCL minimum spec. The reason is that one may be using the machine only for development, not testing (thinking about working on a laptop while on a flight, for example).I may not want to run the app, but I still want to be able to work on the code.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Greg
0 Kudos
Gregory_J_Intel
Employee
Another issue with the Linux install.

We stomp on whatever other OpenCL implementation may be installed (at least we stomp on nVidia, I haven't tried the Stream SDK yet to see where they install their libOpenCL.so).

This makes it impossible (at least using the default install options) to run Intel OpenCL and nVidia OpenCL side by side (as the nVidia driver puts its libOpenCL.so.* in /usr/lib64 -- on 64-bit systems, of course - same as we do, by default). Yes, I know I can override the installation root with rpm options, but this isn't commonly known, and even less known is the fact that once you install the Intel SDK you lose the ability to run OpenCL on an installed nVidia GPU.

Perhaps we should revisit where we install our libraries by default? They don't actually *need* to be in /usr/lib64; the RPM install could easily put them anywhere and update ldconfig so they can be found. This would prevent user frustration and confusion in these cases.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Greg
0 Kudos
Doron_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Gregory,

libOpenCL is the ICD module (http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/extensions/khr/cl_khr_icd.txt), which is (should be) common to all vendors. So, it shouldn't matter which version of it you have, whatever version should be able to display all existing OpenCL platforms in the system. If the Intel one doesn't do so, please report it.

Thanks,
Doron Singer
0 Kudos
Gregory_J_Intel
Employee
Thanks Doron, I wasn't aware of that.

Should I open a Premier issue or report it here?

The reason I ask is that on Linux, I am seeing only one platform and vendor name -- NVIDIA Corporation -- when I run the code in section 6.4 of the User Guide. Is there something else I am missing in setting up the Intel SDK on Linux?

Greg
0 Kudos