OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Invalid _CL_Platform error

bilal_a_1
Beginner

Hi I am trying to run OpenCL on Intel 2310 core i3 2nd generation. I have configured VS 2013(Professional) for OpenCL.  When I try to create a new opencl project a message appers: 

"Failed to retrieve number of devices:-32(CL_Invalid_Platform)  "  

But it still creates the OpenCL project.When I run a simple hello world OpenCL  program.VS2013 doesn't builds it. gives following error

OUTPUT window:

1>------ Build started: Project: Opencl1, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>  Preprocessing: OpenCLFile.cl
1>  Ignoring -TARGETOS option - not supported for 64-bit version of this tool
1>  Setting target instruction set architecture to: Default (Advanced Vector Extension (AVX))
1>D:\MS Course\3rd Semster\Integrated Project\openCL codes\Opencl1\Opencl1\OpenCLFile.cl : error CL: Failed to get platform id...: 0 (CL_SUCCESS)
1>  Build failed!
1>  
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\BuildCustomizations\IntelOpenCL.targets(98,5): error MSB3721: The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\5.3\bin\x64\ioc64.exe" -cmd=build -input="D:\MS Course\3rd Semster\Integrated Project\openCL codes\Opencl1\Opencl1\OpenCLFile.cl" -output="x64\Debug\OpenCLFile.out" -VS -device=CPU -simd=default -targetos=current        -bo="           "" exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Bilal,

Which OpenCL release you have installed on your system?
To set the expectation right - OpenCL1.2 feature is supported on the platform you are using. Also, GPU processing is not supported on this platform. You can get details from "system requirement" section in the release notes - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-code-builder-release-notes. Also, would recommend you to check "known limitation" section since your system is a pretty old configuration. 

Hope this information helps. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
bilal_a_1
Beginner

Hi thanks for commenting.Actually I am using OpenCL sdk 2015.  

0 Kudos
bilal_a_1
Beginner

Yeah OpenCL1.2 is supported for my system.Should I use VS2015 with Intel SDK 2015 APP? 

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Bilal,

I believe you have an outdated CPU. I don't think switching to VS2015 will help. You will need a different computer, preferably from 2012 or later. 2013 or later highly recommended.

0 Kudos
saluja__japneet_kaur

I have the same error but unlike above, I bought my PC in 2018 and my PC has all the specified requirements. Please help.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi JapneetS,

Can you please supply the details specified here?

What version of Visual Studio is in use?

What version of the developer tools is in use?

Requirements Reference

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Zvi_D_Intel
Employee

2 notes:

1. In my investigation of exactly this error (happened when trying to compile external OpenCL project) we've found the resolution: you should install OpenCL runtime in additions OpenCL SDK
    https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/opencl-drivers.html
    Actually, it is "old" SW, there is the modern and (in our opinion) preferred one:

2. Install oneAPI Base toolkit, select in your OpenCL project DPC++ compiler toolset, and the OpenCL project will be compiled/run as well.
    https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/base-toolkit.html

Have a good luck !

0 Kudos