OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL CPU Runtime fails to install

greenkalx
Novice

I had kernel debugging working with the samples. But I tried switching to GPU and 64 bits and wasn't having luck, so reinstalled.

But now I can no longer install the CPU Runtime.

When I run a sample now, it fails to find the platform name "Intel OpenCL".
The only platform it does find with clGetPlatformIDs, is "NVIDIA CUDA".
I uninstalled all the CUDA features, but same result.

Running the Intel installer again, and selecting "Repair", I get the prompt
"The installer identified that the installed version of the Intel OpenCL Runtime is broken.
Try removing it or contact the product support at the Intel OpenCL Forums"

Using Windows build 1.5.15293, 64 bits.

Thanks for any advice
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Uri_L_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Please try to remove the Intel OpenCL CPU runtime component from your system and then, re-install the SDK again.

Use the Microsoft Windows* Control Panel (search for OpenCL 1.1 support for Intel Core processor family record in the Program and Features list).

Please note that Youll need to reboot your system after uninstall finished to complete the un-installation process.

Thanks,
Uri

0 Kudos
greenkalx
Novice

Thanks for the quick response, Uri.

I don't see OpenCL 1.1 support for Intel Core processor family in the Control Panel > Programs and Features.

I believe it was there when I first installed, but named "Intel OpenCL CPU Runtime", beside the "Intel OpenCLSDK 1.5", which I have installed again. But I can't get the CPU Runtime back.

I have been following the prompts to restart, but that hasn't helped.

0 Kudos
greenkalx
Novice

Is there a way to force reinstall of everything?
If I remove some Windows registry settings, will it reinstall all?

I tried installing the Runtime separately, but no luck.
intel_ocl_sdk_1.5_runtime_setup.exe

0 Kudos
Uri_L_Intel
Employee

Yes.

Please try to remove the following registry key(s)

- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\OpenCL]

- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\OpenCL]

Andtry to install the runtimepackage again.

0 Kudos
greenkalx
Novice

Thanks Uri, that did it. Debugging working again after removing the registry keys, reinstalling, and rebooting.

I see OpenCL 1.1 support for Intel Core processor family in the Programs and Features list now.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Uri_L_Intel
Employee

Great!
Glad to see that it works for you now.

Well investigate your case and try to find the root cause of this failure.

Enjoy,
Uri

0 Kudos
Istvan_Lorentz
Beginner
Additionally, I removed the OpenCL Vendors entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors\IntelOpencl64.dll and
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors\IntelOpenCL32.dll

Istvan
0 Kudos
gottimw
Beginner
Hi

I've tried everything described in this topic and I can't get any results still get -1001 error.

My problem is that the first time I installed openCL I was able to get the platform ID with no problems, however I was trying to get the integrated GPU from snady bridge to be recognised as openCL device and somehow now openCL doesnt recognise platform.

Could someone describe the process of re-installing openCL with links to files?

I have i7-2600K 64bit, with win 7.
0 Kudos
amateur117
Beginner
Hi

I have the same problem: the OpenCL-Z utility fails to identify my Intel Pentium G840 CPU as OpenCL device.
I followed everything written in Installation Notes but still failed. My OS is Windows 7 x64.

I tried to investigate this and found that the IntelOpenCL64.dll library doesn't exist in the system at all. In sysWOW64\ and system32\ directories only IntelOpenCL32.dll lib was found.

The second strange fact is that before this installation the AMD APP SDK was installed, and it worked perfectly: the CPU was identified as OpenCL device, and the program test showed that the acceleration "GPU vs CPU at 1 core" was 25 times (without any discret videocard). If I don't cope with this problem I'll be forced to install the AMD pack again :(

Sorry for my English, it's not my native language mother tongue.

P.S. After several tries the OpenCL-Z at last identifies CPU as OpenCL device. But as we do not have IntelOpencl64.dll then Intel's Installation Notes seem to be not true:

For 64-bit system:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors].

The key should include a DWORD registry value set to 0. The values name should be the name of the runtime DLL file:
IntelOpencl64.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors].

The key should include a DWORD registry value set to 0. The values name should be IntelOpenCL32.dll

After installation the name of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors] is IntelOpenCL32.dll, and the name of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors] is set to IntelOpenCL64.dll. And only this mapping makes OpenCL-Z work.

0 Kudos