OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL SDK 1.2 for Linux, without Xeon?

Justin_W_2
Beginner

Hi,

I'm excited about doing OpenCl development on my Intel based machine, but I'm wondering if I can use the 1.2 SDK with Linux?  

I have a Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU with an integrated 4000 HD GPU.  I've seen in other postings that it looks like this was possible with the 1.1 SDK, but based on the FAQ I wasn't sure if this capability has made it to 1.2.

If not, could you point me to the download for the 1.1 SDK?  I googled around but the links all seem to point back to 1.2.

Also, to briefly put in a plug for Ubuntu, supporting this would make local development significantly easier.

Thanks, Justin

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

The SDK XE 2013 version available at www.intel.com/software/opencl-xe support OpenCL on CPU and Linux. Support in Intel HD Graphics 4000 on Linux is not available.

Thanks for the feedback, we are looking on options to support more operating systems, and we will use this forum to inform you when we have new releases.

Arnon Peleg

0 Kudos
Justin_W_2
Beginner

Thanks Amon.

Justin

0 Kudos
jim_l_1
Beginner

Hello Arnon,

I have a Xeon CPU E5620, could I run the OpenCL SDK XE 2013 version on Linux?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Arik_N_Intel
Employee

Hello Jim,

You should be able to run the OpenCL SDK XE 2013 (Linux) on Xeon E5620.

Thanks,

Arik

0 Kudos
Joseph_Pingenot
Beginner

I ran the OpenCL SDK 1.2 on my Ivy Bridge System76 Gazelle recently.  As the Intel employee stated, the GPU isn't available on Linux.  However, it worked fine on my CPU.

HTH.

0 Kudos
nealmcb
Beginner

Based on the response by  allan_intel  at Intel Communities (https://communities.intel.com/message/247672), it seemed like the Intel Core series with HD Graphics 4000 was indeed supported by Intel's  SDK for OpenCL.  But after chasing a lot of confusing dead ends, I see here that as of 2013 it still was not supported in terms of what we're obviously looking for, i.e. using the computing power in the GPU.  Frustrating!

Has there been any progress?  Surely this would open up a lot of potential for great speedups in some important applications on tons of hardware.

0 Kudos
nealmcb
Beginner

The only available option I see is using Intel's separate open source project "beignet" to run OpenCL programs under Linux on the Intel HD 4000.  It is pretty straightforward as described here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/412009/open-cl-in-intel

though I hear it is pretty buggy.  So please add Linux / Ubuntu / Red Hat support in the official SDK, Intel!

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

For 3rd generation Intel processors with HD Graphics 4000 (IvyBridge) the only available OpenCL option that targets GPU is Beignet.

For 4th generation Intel processors with Iris and Iris Pro graphics (Haswell) users can download Media Server Studio (will be part of upcoming 2015 R3 release as well) - OpenCL Linux driver is part of the package.

For 5th generation Intel processors with Iris and Iris Pro graphics (Broadwell) OpenCL driver is a work in progress.

0 Kudos
savio_g_
Beginner

Hi

I have recently started working with the Intel OpenCL SDK. I have it installed on Linux CentOS 7.3 Operating system. The processor is Intel® Core™ i7-3555LE Processor which I believe is a 3rd Generation Processor with integrated graphics "HD Graphics 4000". I compiled a sample code to print out the available details such as: the platforms and the devices attached to it. However I can only get the CPU as my device and I am not able to find and access the HD Graphics. 

I need access to the GPU because I require it to run some tasks in my applications

From the above conversations I understand since it belongs to the 3rd generation, access to the graphics is not possible via the Intel OpenCL SDK alone and therefore additionally it requires Beignet, is that right? or are there any other options?   

I downloaded the drivers :https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers

SDK:https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl/download

I also patched the kernel to 4.7 as suggested in the installation instruction

"CentOS - Patch and Compile Linux Kernel 4.7" 

Thank you!

Savio George

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The driver packages cover a range of hardware generations.  For example, the SRB4 package from the opencl-drivers page covers 5th, 6th, and 7th Generation Core processors. 

This article explains the driver/HW coverage for legacy releases from a Media Server Studio perspective.  You may be able to get an older version of Media Server Studio to work -- which includes OpenCL.  Beignet is also an option.

0 Kudos
savio_g_
Beginner

Hi,

Thank You! Jeffrey for the Information.

I also required an additional Information, while installing the IntelOpenCLSDK for Linux I was suggested to install "Mono", please find the attached snapshot. I went ahead by installing all the packages recommended and necessary. However I avoided mono.

I would like to know what are the Features mentioned which will not be available to me since I didnt install mono. 

Thank you!

Savio George

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Mono is used by some of the SDK Code Builder utilities, but is not required to compile/run OpenCL applications.

0 Kudos
savio_g_
Beginner

Hi,

I would like to know if Intel has Opencl Math libraries. For example we have clFFT libraries, provided by AMD. Which is optimized to run on AMD processors. Which is also an OpenSource

https://github.com/clMathLibraries/clFFT

Does Intel provide any such OpenCL library implementations?

Thank you!

Savio George

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

You may be interested in this optimized FFT implementation: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/genFFT

0 Kudos
savio_g_
Beginner

Hi,

I am working with an Intel 6th Generation processor with integrated graphics i5-6500 with Intel HD graphics 530. My Os platform is Linux CentOS 7.3. In the following link https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers under the Installation instructions document. It instructs to patch the kernel  "CentOS - Patch and Compile Linux Kernel 4.7 ".

I would like to know why the we require to patch the kernel. Because I find the openCL applications to be running fine on the GPU even if I load the old kernel and not the patched new Linux Kernel 4.7.

Thank You

Savio George

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

While we validate the full functionality of our packages against a patched kernel, you may not need all patches (or any of them) for your specific application.  There is a list of patches and what they are for in the driver/runtime package release notes, starting with SRB 4.1. 

0 Kudos