OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL error CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE Windows 7 using Intel i5

LSolis
Beginner

hi,

I have installed Intel OpenCL SDK in my machine:

- Intel Core i5-2450 CPU @2.50GHz (RAM 4GB, Windows 7 SP1, 64 bits)

- Visual Studio 2013

- Platform selected: Intel (R) OpenCL (there is another "Experimental OpenCL 2.0 CPU Only Platform")

- SDK Version: intel_sdk_for_opencl_setup_6.0.0.1049

- OpenCL runtime installed: opencl_runtime_15.1_x64_setup (I got problems installing the 16.1, that´s why I installed this one)

I used two Intel examples so far: "intel_ocl_caps_basic" and "intel_ocl_gemm".

The first one runs with no problem giving the following output:

INTELOPENCL.jpg

However, eveytime I use the "intel_ocl_gemm", I get an "CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE" error, and it happens  in the gemm.cpp at line 446-447:

context = clCreateContext(&context_props[0], 1, &device, 0, 0, &err);
    SAMPLE_CHECK_ERRORS(err);

I don not understand this. I think my i5 CPU is supposed to support this feature. As far as I know the i5-2450M supports SSE4.1 and SSE4.2.

Is there anything I am missing?

Any hint will be appreciatted, thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
4 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you please provide me the command line you are running your gemm sample with. I suspect that the sample tries to select a GPU device, which you don't have. Could you try running your sample with -t cpu and provide the output?

Also, what kind of problems are you experiencing with 16.1 runtime?

0 Kudos
LSolis
Beginner

Hi Robert,

I am using Visual Studio 2013, so the command line info that I got from it:

command: C:\Users\L30nardoSV\Desktop\MyOpenCLApps\Intel\intel_ocl_gemm\GEMM\Win32\Debug\GEMM.exe

command argument: - t cpu

I still get the same error:

Imagen 1_0.jpg

The line pointed as problematic is the same as I indicated in the first post.

any ideas about this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
LSolis
Beginner

Hi Robert,

That works!. As mentioned in that link, it is required to use the OpenCL 2.0 platform instead of the 1.2 one.

In my case, it was not needed to use "-t cpu", but only "-p 1" or alternatively "-p Experimental".

Imagenfunciona.png

Regarding to the 16.1 runtime, I was not able to install it.

Everytime I tried, the installation process was interrupted. The message I got was "Intel HD Graphics driver must be installed first", altough it was uninstalled.

Thank you very much for the helpful info.

0 Kudos