OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Quality of OSX Drivers

ABoxe
Beginner

Can someone please comment on the quality of the OSX drivers for Intel CPU and iGPUs ? I am interested in the upcoming Skylake

CPUs with Iris Pro 580 GPU.

So, generally, how does performance on OSX compare to windows, for example?  And, what version of OpenCL is supported on OSX?

Thanks very much,

Aaron

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Aaron,

In general, you should direct questions about OSX drivers to Apple support site. Apple currently supports OpenCL 1.2 and as far as I know does not plan to support OpenCL 2.0 any time soon, since they shifted their support to Metal. Anecdotally, their OpenCL 1.2 drivers are in maintenance mode and some people complained that they don't fix them too often. The backends for Apple OpenCL drivers are provided by Intel, but we don't support them: Apple does. Not sure what their Skylake OpenCL plans are: you should ask Apple folks.

0 Kudos
ABoxe
Beginner

Thanks. That is a shame, especially since OpenCL was initially developed by Apple.

0 Kudos