OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Recommended CPU for One API development?

Doe__John1
Beginner

I need to buy a new workstation now, and want to make sure it's a good choice for One API development in Q4 2019.  I realize this is an OpenCL forum, not One API, but I imagine there's overlap.

I'm looking at a Core i7 9700 with UHD Graphics 630.  It's a Dell Precision 3431.

I'll have to use the integrated GPU until discrete Intel GPUs are released in 2020.  I imagine One API support for Nvidia or AMD GPUs will not be great.  I've used SYCL before, and I'm aware that not all hardware is supported.

There's not much online about One API at the moment, but can anyone speculate on what would be a good system to buy now?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

Hello John Doe,

Those interested in One API can see public information at the Intel newsroom.

Thanks for the interest. At this time, the ability to comment on said technologies is limited. However, it would be constructive to follow what developer aspirations are. Can you share what kinds of projects you're interested in developing? Also, what are your perceptions of current open programming standards for applications of interest?

Intel software development teams browse the forums and customer comments may influence priorities.

If customer project scope is too proprietary or private to be shared no worries... Please request to be contacted via private message if interested in sharing more.

Some comments about for preferring particular vendor products:

In general, if you want something to be supported, alert your vendor (as the first post accomplishes). As indicated above, a critical mass of customer communication can influence priorities.

Example:

• In an OpenCL context, perhaps a developer could consider the frequency of Intel® Graphics driver redistribution releases as part of their purchasing decisions.
  • OEM's repackage OpenCL implementations as part of Windows* OS Intel® Graphics Drivers. OEMs choose the frequency at which they quality assure, adopt, support, and publish releases.
  • Some OEM's perform this action more often than others. It may be in your interest to review update frequency provided on vendor support pages... or communicate with OEMs on why a particular technology is important to you. Request that technology to be a priority.

Thanks for the post,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Doe__John1
Beginner

Michael, thanks for the response.  After posting, I found Intel's SYCL repo on Github.  I realize it hasn't been released yet, and information is limited right now.

I'm interested in image processing with OpenAPI.  CUDA is by far the top choice in my field, but I want to explore alternatives.

I ended up ordering the Dell Precision 3431 I mentioned, but with an i9-9900.  I'm betting that anything with gen9 graphics will be OK for getting started with OneAPI.  I realize this will all change in 2020.

Gen11 graphics seems appealing, but I wanted a desktop CPU.

You raise interesting points about OEM support for OpenCL drivers.  I didn't realize there was any variation in support with respect to this.  I'll do more research.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

John Doe,

Thanks for the feedback.

On image processing:

OpenCV is an enabling technology that comes up quite a bit among developers interested in image processing regardless of use case. It's encapsulated and a pretty straightforward starting point. It's slightly extensible... It can be good before going to a more general purpose opportunity like an OpenCL or SYCL when needed.

On alternatives (at the risk of sounding like a broken record):

• I speak with many customers who value maximizing future proofing and enhanced portability... That typically maps to the desire to explore open standard alternatives... Tell your vendor, tell your OEM what open standard you're interested in making a priority and how.
    • If it is a priority, it may help to keep it a priority.
    • If it isn't a priority, it may help to realign priorities.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos