OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Sandy bridge, opencl

Timocafe
Beginner
Hi,
I develop (Geneva University) blas mix/mode using blas CPU and cublas on GPU. Nevertheless I have also a similar version using blas CPU and opencl for the GPU (especially for ATI card).
My question is : Intel opencl does support the gpu part inside the sandy bridge ? Can we hope have a linux support of the intel sdk ?
Thus we could make the blas operation on CPU/GPU inside the same socket.
Thank you
Tim
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
No, this alpha version works with CPU device only.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Tim,

Im very pleased to hear your ideas to distribute BLAS operation across Intel platform. I see great value to use the same API to utilize all performance features available on the compute system.

OpenCL also provides you the opportunity to use the same context to share memory objects between devices, synch on events between queues, compile once, etc.

This may also increase your ability to get the best of the platform, depends on your usage.

Did you find specific portion of the code that are more suitable the CPU or to the GPU?

As I mentioned in this forum few times in the past, I cannot comment at this point on our plans. But such feedback help us to understand your needs.

So please keep contribute, and we will publish as soon as a new version of OpenCL support will be available on Intel platforms.

- Regards, Arnon

0 Kudos
Timocafe
Beginner
Thank you for the answer, I think I do not formulate well the question.
Does the OpenCl sdk works on the GPU part of Sanda Bridge ?
Regard's
Tim
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
No, this alpha version works with CPU device only.
0 Kudos
dsheth
Beginner
Could you elaborate on this a bit? Will there ever be an OpenCL driver for the GPU on Sandy Bridge chips, or is that something that will need to wait for Ivy Bridge? I'm asking, because earlier reports (such as the 8th paragraph of this article: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/12/apple-may-drop-nvidia-for-sandy-bridges-igp-next-year.ars ) indicate that it won't be possible for the GPU on Sandy Bridge to support OpenCL.
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Intels policy is to not comment or speculate on rumors or to discuss unannounced plans or products in this forum.

Intel does support OpenCL and continue evaluating when and where such support will intercept our hardware products.

0 Kudos
Eirikr
Beginner
11 years later and:

- No Sandy Bridge OpenCL Support or Vulkan Suporrt
- Abandoned Ivy Bridge and Haswell OpenCL and Incomplete Vulkan support.

Such a shame
0 Kudos
matdaimond
Beginner
Maybe you can't comment on rumours, but what about statements from Intel that are being quoted by tech websites? Intel seems to be confirming IGP OpenCL drivers are coming here.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/intel-hd-graphics-3000-performance-review/8

Let's also not forget OpenCL. We initially asked Intel about OpenCL support at theClarkdalelaunch. The company said then it was aiming for mid-2010. As there's still no OpenCL support we asked again recently and were told:

'[Intel] will be releasing OpenCL graphics drivers to developers during the course of 2011. [Intel] continue to evaluate when and where OpenCL will intercept various products.'
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Nothing new here. We are evaluating our new technologies such as OpenCL with our NDA customers as we always do. We will continue doing so during the course of 2011.

As an active Khronos Group member, Intel is working closely with others in the industry, including the developers community, to define the OpenCL standard.

0 Kudos
MSimm2
New Contributor I
Please maintain a separate non graphics dependant implementation that can intergrate with nvidia and amd graphics cards without causing driver hell.
0 Kudos
Kalle_Launiala
Beginner
Hello,

Any new reports on Intel GPU support, in particular Sandy Bridge on OpenCL?

Not rumour commenting needed.

For demonstrational purposes the HD 3000 series that is on mobile devices with 12 execution units still provides nice demonstrational platform.

Kalle Launiala
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Kalle_Launiala
Beginner
Hi,

Thanks, missed that, although no mention on GPU support lead to that conclusion as well.

Kalle
0 Kudos
Kalle_Launiala
Beginner
Hi,

I tried to find comparable technical solution to OpenCL; to program custom logic on Sandy Bridge shaders.

The Media SDK seems to focus on media, it wasn't implicitly clear whether it is suitable for this.

What is the proper SDK to code custom shader logic on Sandy Bridge or is there any?

Kalle
0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Where is openCL 1.2 CPU support on Intel HD 3000 2nd gen processor????

I only found openCL 1.1 support. Is intel planning to provide driver support on intel hd 3000 on customer demand??????

Also openGL 3.3 is still not provided by intel on windows intel hd 3000 drivers.  Currently the latest intel hd 3000 driver only supports openGL 3.1 on windows.

OpenCL 1.2 (CPU) support and OpenGL 3.3 is found on Linux and Apple Max OS X regarding intel hd 3000 driver. However windows driver is a total let down/disapointment. Are you planning to offer as an update since you have delayed any development regarding this API features???

Thanks

Panayiotis Palmiris

Panayiotis_P_
Novice

I have an i7-2640m mobile processor with intel hd 3000 IGP I need the following driver support.

1. OpenCL 1.2 (as an update from openCL 1.1, for the CPU part)

2. OpenGL 3.3 (as an update from OpenGL 3.1)

3. WiDi driver for windows 10 for second gen CPU with intel hd 3000 IGP (e.g. i7-2640m)

I am repeating myself since I had no reply.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Panayiotis,

As far as I know there are no plans to support OpenCL 1.2 for the GPU for the 2nd generation Intel(R) Core Processors (Sandy Bridge) due to resource constraints. Our driver team is hard at work on the drivers for the 7th generation chips, so OpenCL 1.2 is only supported for 3rd generation Intel(R) Core Processors (Ivy Bridge). I am very sorry about the inconvenience that this issue causes.

As far as your other questions, for the OpenGL support please consider contacting OpenGL support forum https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/developing-games-and-graphics-on-intel. There should be a separate forum for Wi-Di https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/intel_widi

0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Hi Robert, Thank you for your reply and the links.

Can you offer a OpenCL 1.2 CPU support (not GPU) for intel hd 3000 2nd gen processors???

I hope that you (intel) reconsider. I am asking a direct update of openCL 1.1 which is a CPU support (not GPU). My i7-2640m is still supported and I am still an intel client.

OpenCLi7.jpg

Please see attachment of current OpenCL 1.1 CPU support just to make this more clear.

I hope that intel will be able to offer the OpenCL 1.2 API driver support, on the CPU load, when the development staff have more spare time to deal with older intel processors. Is this task so difficult????

Thank you in advance.

P.S.

I think I am disapointed with intel development team/support. They say intel hd 3000 does not support openGL 3.3 in windows (only 3.1. is supported) but in Linux ubuntu I have proven them that the intel hd 3000 linux driver does support openGL 3.3. Also Apple OS X has openGL 3.3 support.

Can anyone from intel correct this disapointment that intel support has caused??

0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Robert Ioffe (Intel) wrote:

As far as I know there are no plans to support OpenCL 1.2 for the GPU for the 2nd generation Intel(R) Core Processors (Sandy Bridge) due to resource constraints.

Dear Robert,

Are you planning to support OpenCL 1.2 for the CPU (not GPU) for the 2nd gen CPU (sandy bridge)???

If this is easy to achieve I will be over the moon. Otherwise I will be disappointed and probably will never buy an intel processor due to lack of support. If it is not a hassle please support with an updated driver and save intels bad image created by sandy bridge lack of driver features support and lack of continuous development.

Thanks

Regards Panayiotis

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Panayiotis,

We already support CPU runtime for SNB and above (2nd generation Intel Core processor):  https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#lin64 . We also support Nehalem chips.

0 Kudos
Panayiotis_P_
Novice

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your reply. It worked.

I did try a few months ago OpenCL™ Runtime 15.1 for Intel® Core™ and Intel® Xeon® Processors for Windows* (64-bit & 32-bit) but it had problems with sandy bridge kernel when I run the Gaps viewer.

I have tried again just now. What I did is uninstall openCL 1.1. Reboot. Install the above driver. Reinstall Gaps viewer.

I run again the CPU OpenCL tests.

It now works. All tests run fine without any problem.

I have no words to describe my appreciation to intel making available for sandy bridge openCL 1.2. (and personally to you)

Just an observation

It should be made available in the latest intel hd 3000 driver too rather than the older openCL 1.1.

I am glad you have responded.

0 Kudos