OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

What to install? Can't get gpu platform working

Alex_H_3
Beginner

I'm having a really hard time getting opencl set up.  The machine is a NUC running ubuntu 14.04.  Here's what the OS reports about the hardware:
lspci |grep VGA:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 1916 (rev 07)
cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep model\ name:
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz

The big problem I'm having is that I'm not sure what things I need to install.  Everything is very confusing with outdated links, product name changes, and various bundles.  I want to be able to run my kernels on cpu and gpu.

First I installed "Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications".  This allowed my to compile programs, but does not have any drivers, even for cpu.

Then I tried "OpenCL™ Runtime 15.1 for Intel® Core™ and Intel® Xeon® Processors for Ubuntu* (64-bit) (part of Intel OpenCL™ Code Builder for Ubuntu)"  That appears to be older than the SDK, but does come with a cpu driver (intel64.icd).  Although it gives me an error about requiring ubuntu 12.04, I was able to get it to install, and able to run an opencl program on the cpu.

Then I installed "OpenCL™ 1.2 Driver for Intel® HD, Iris™, and Iris™ Pro Graphics for Linux* (64-bit)" - I followed the included instructions, including building a patched kernel.  This doesn't even show up as a platform.  I tried it with both the SDK and Code Builder.  I see /etc/OpenCL/vendors/intel.icd, but the system seems to ignore it.

Finally I installed beignet (the version in apt).  That actually gives me a new gpu platform.  However, when I try to run an opencl application I get this:

$ ./gemm
Platforms (1):
    [0] Experiment Intel Gen OCL Driver [Selected]
Can't find X server!
Trying to open directly...Device open failed

$ sudo ./gemm
Platforms (1):
    [0] Experiment Intel Gen OCL Driver [Selected]
Can't find X server!
Trying to open directly...Success at /dev/dri/card0.
[ ERROR ] Sample application specific error: OpenCL error CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND happened in file ../common/oclobject.cpp at line 219.

I am running this over SSH.  Do I need to run it from an X session?  Ideally we want to be able to run the opencl code from a background service without anyone logged in.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Alex,

Questions for Beignet driver should be directed to their support forum: see https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Beignet/ for details.

Officially, we don't support Intel(R) Processor Graphics on Ubuntu. We support CentOS 7.1. Any chance you can use that instead?

If you still want try to make it work on Ubuntu, the right thing to do would be to install GPU driver first, then CPU driver, and then Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications.

0 Kudos
Alex_H_3
Beginner

Hi Robert,

So when you say to install GPU driver first, then CPU driver, and then Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications... which CPU driver are you talking about?  The only one I find available for ubuntu is the Code Builder one.  Would I install both Code Builder and the SDK?  That seems like it's installing 2 different versions of the same thing.

Has support for ubuntu been dropped going forward?  Or is it just lagging behind centos?  It looks like you guys used to support it (since there's a ubuntu version of Code Builder available for download).

0 Kudos
tata_r_
Beginner

Hi Alex ,

Did you succeed to manage with GPU drivers? Because i have the same problem than you.... 

Thank you,

0 Kudos