OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

clEnqueueNDRangeKernel freezes

EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Hello everyone!

I've faced an issue relating to OpenCL implementation on Intel HD 4000 GPU (i5-3370U). When I'm building processing chain and enqueue compute kernels to cl_command_queue, runtime could just freeze on some clEnqueueNDRangeKernel() call. This bug isn't observed on any CPU or HD 4600 GPU (i7-4770K). All AMD platforms are also fine. I've provided a sample that demonstrates the issue. I suppose there is some kind of deadlock in OpenCL runtime threads. The test can be passed if number of iterations or steps in main processing loop are reduced. It also works if you add clWaitForEvents() during formation of processing chain (commented in provided source). By the way, the system is Windows 8.1 x64 with the latest 3345 drivers and 2013 R3 SDK.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Is this only reproducible on Win8.1? How about Win7?

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Hello Raghu! Thanks for your reply!

Suddenly, I have no chance to test this issue against Win7.

By the way, I've misspelled, the problem is presented on HD 4000 GPU of i5-3317U (not i5-3370U).

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Hello? Support team? Is anybody there?

It's not polite to ignore bug reports. I've submitted it two weeks ago, provided test sample and still no answer.

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Hi Sorry for the delay. I don't have a Win7 with HD4000. Will try to find one and replicate your issue.

Raghu

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Hi Raghu. Was the issue reproduced on any Win8.1 x64 machine (especially i5-3317U based)?

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Evgeniy,

Sorry I meant Win8.1. You weren't able to reproduce it on Win7 right?

Thanks,
Raghu

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Raghu, 

Yes, suddenly I don't have any Win7 device with HD 4000 graphics.

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Just curious, you haven't tried it on other systems with HD4000/Win8.1? I found a system with HD4000 but it is i7-3770 with win7. I will try to install win8.1 and test on this system and get back to you.

Raghu

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

I am able to see the issue on win7. I will debug this and get back to you.

Thanks,
Raghu

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

I've just been about to ask you to check the issue on Win7 before installing Win8.1 (=. Probably it's already there (=.

Thanks for your attention. I really appreciate it. Will await your replay.

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Hi Evgeniy,

It doesnt look like a deadlock issue. Or at least that's not the only issue. When I tried to debug it I got access violation at the call

clSetKernelArg(handle->kernel, kernelArgNum++, localMemSize, NULL);

But if I run it outside the debugger (ctrl+f5) it appears like the program is hung. Not sure if you actually tried to debug. I'll investigate and open a bug is its indeed a bug.

Thanks,
Raghu

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Hi Raghu, of cause I've intensively debuged application to locate the problem and further wrote simplified test to reproduce it and debuged it too. I've just rechecked everything and I don't see any access violations, all clSetKernelArg calls are fine. Program hangs on clEnqueueNDRangeKernel either under or outside debuger and it still looks like runtime deadlock relating to cl_events. I suppose we don't observe the same errors due to different operating systems we are using. Maybe you will have a chance to run the test on Win8.1 machine to obtain similar results. Probably there are 2 bugs.

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Well, ok. It was my driver. I installed the version you were using and I see he issue on Win7. I file a bug and keep you posted when there is a fix available.

Thanks,
Raghu

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Raghu, thanks a lot for your efforts.

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I

Hello again!

A long time passed since I've posted this issue, new SDK and several driver packs have been released, but bug still not fixed. When can I expect the resolution of the problem?

0 Kudos
Mudit_B_
Beginner

Hi Dear....during my recent thesis work I came across the same problem on the same environment.....My OpenCL code runs perfectly on CPU but when I try to use the HD 4000 GPU it crashed at clEnqueueNDRangeKernel with Access Violation error. I am assuming that you found a solution to it....

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Mudit,

Have you tried to update the graphics driver? What OS, What graphics driver version are you using?

0 Kudos