OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

ioc64 on ubuntu with NEO

lolxdfly
Novice

Hello,

I want to build a simple OpenCL Kernel with ioc64 on Ubuntu 19.04. I installed the Intel OpenCL SDK and compiled the latest NEO driver with its dependencies. I can execute OpenCL Programs without any Issues. If I want to build the Assembly with:

/opt/intel/system_studio_2019/opencl-sdk/bin/ioc64 -device=gpu -input=program.cl -asm=program_clmain.gen

I get the following Output:

No command specified, using 'build' as default
Platform name: Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics
Device name: Intel(R) Gen9 HD Graphics NEO
Device version: OpenCL 2.1 NEO
Device vendor: Intel(R) Corporation
Device profile: FULL_PROFILE

clmain info:
    Maximum work-group size: 256
    Compiler work-group size: (0, 0, 0)
    Local memory size: 0
    Preferred multiple of work-group size: 32
    Minimum amount of private memory: 0
    Amount of spill memory used by the kernel: 0

Failed to generate ASM code: the GFX driver doesn't support disassembly code display
Build succeeded!

But the Build has not succeeded. There is no program_clmain.gen. Do I need special driver extensions to use ioc64?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ben_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Marcel,

If you want to dump ISA for a program you're already building and running, another option you might want to evaluate is to dump and disassemble kernel ISA using the Intercept Layer for OpenCL Applications:

https://github.com/intel/opencl-intercept-layer

Specifically:

https://github.com/intel/opencl-intercept-layer/blob/master/docs/kernel_isa_gpu.md

The nice thing about this method is that it's dumping the ISA binary from the same program binary that's executing on the GPU, so by definition it's using the same program source, build options, compiler version, etc.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi MarcelLD,

Thanks for your continued interest.

I was not able to reproduce the issue with two distinct revisions of Intel® Graphics Compute Runtime for OpenCL™ Driver on Ubuntu 18.04.

• OK on 19.04.12237 
  • OK on 19.27.13361 (latest production)

The command to generate assembly text for gpu architecture was successful for text-editor readable output files. The getting started guide tutorial hello world kernel was used. 

Can you confirm this issue for 19.27.13361? Can you confirm which specific driver revision you have (see clinfo Driver Version)?

I will be filing a request to clarify the output that may be in conflict when outputs desired are not generated.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
lolxdfly
Novice

Hi

MICHAEL C. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Marcel,

If you want to dump ISA for a program you're already building and running, another option you might want to evaluate is to dump and disassemble kernel ISA using the Intercept Layer for OpenCL Applications:

https://github.com/intel/opencl-intercept-layer

Specifically:

https://github.com/intel/opencl-intercept-layer/blob/master/docs/kernel_.

The nice thing about this method is that it's dumping the ISA binary from the same program binary that's executing on the GPU, so by definition it's using the same program source, build options, compiler version, etc.

This works and has its advantages (build options, ...), but always needs complete program with all OpenCL calls. I only need the compiled binary. For my use, it would be easier to just run some CLI commands to get the binary.

MICHAEL C. (Intel) wrote:

Hi MarcelLD,

Thanks for your continued interest.

I was not able to reproduce the issue with two distinct revisions of Intel® Graphics Compute Runtime for OpenCL™ Driver on Ubuntu 18.04.

• OK on 19.04.12237 
  • OK on 19.27.13361 (latest production)

The command to generate assembly text for gpu architecture was successful for text-editor readable output files. The getting started guide tutorial hello world kernel was used. 

Can you confirm this issue for 19.27.13361? Can you confirm which specific driver revision you have (see clinfo Driver Version)?

I will be filing a request to clarify the output that may be in conflict when outputs desired are not generated.

-MichaelC

clinfo prints Driver Version 19.21.0. This version still has the issue. It may be that I messed up some parts of the NEO installation. I will try it with 19.27.13361 soon and message again if I have any issues.

Marcel

0 Kudos