Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

10900K won't TB past 4.9 GHz, eventhough it's super cool

BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there,

I've had Asus Maximus XII Formula, and I ran her on BiOS v. 0403 and 0606, but I've had this issue, of not being able to pass the 4.9 GHz Threshold on my 10900K with all settings set to Auto.

Now I have Asus Maximus XII Extreme, and I still have the same issue. It's strating to run me nuts. I mean I'm able to achieve all core 4.9 GHz easily with up to ~ 70°C, but when my PC idles and I load only 1 - 2 cores, it's always 4.9 GHz and all other cores run at 0.8 GHz.

Please tell me, is my CPU faulty?

These are some videos of how my CPU acts.

I tried clean install, no drivers, drivers, auto drivers, asus drivers, nothing. Still the same frequencies. I also tried Ai Overclock, I managed to get overvolted 5.1 GHz all core and some nasty temperatures [around 80 - 85°C].

In general what I want is to know that my CPU isn't defunct, I'd like to see it show at least for a blip 5.3 GHz on "auto" on single core/thread load :/

Please help and advise

With kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Kyle939
Beginner
Looking at task manager it shows like 4.3... I opened hardware monitor CPUID and it’s at 4.9 to 5ghz... it’s making no sense at all what is going on.
0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

4.3 sounds like cache freq. look at something more reliable, try HWMonitor Info for example, that one rocks it

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I sure wish I could understand your response.

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Whose, mine? Which part?

0 Kudos
Madonion
Beginner

i have the same issue on my ASUS ROG STRIX motherboard with Intel 10900F, klevv 3600mhz ram.

i have a antec 240 AIB watercooler and temps are fine at 33degrees Celsius. i have updated my bios to the latest version but it did nothing.

it wont turbo past 4.7ghz in windows task manager and if i use CPUID HD infomonitor it shows 4.8ghz

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

@Madonion what I found out for the 20+ years I have some solid experience with Asus, GA, and other brands is, that at least in the past decade, maybe half a decade, Asus is enforcing their "core enhancer" features on their motherboards, which lead to "more core" overclock, but slashes the upper limits of CPU's. So in general in multicore/multithreaded app You have some advantages compared to GA, MSi, EVGA, AsRock and other brands, but in low threaded apps/games You lack power.

My only solution so far was to use GA motherboards, which has a mode of NOT touching the factory defaults pushed out by Intel, and than the CPU works like it should. Boosting up to 5.3 GHz, even on two cores, skippy-jumping 5.1 - 5.2 Ghz at half the core count and You see 4.7 - 4.9 GHz all core most of the time.

Asus is a great company, but it's totally sh*tty regarding their support and their tech. features enforcement in their products.

0 Kudos
Madonion
Beginner

Well lets hope to find the solution. i did not drop all this money to have sub par performance. i run HP g2 VR and need all the speed i can get. 

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

@Madonion I'm afraid there's no "solution" per se. You'll have to overclock it manually, and OC it per core, that's the only solution I found.

E.g. now I'm sporting Dark Hero with 5950X and I'm nowhere near the benchmark results. AMD is much worse in this for their desktop high-end segment. I'm literally losing 15 - 20% in both single and multicore performance on stock settings, and when I OC heavily the 5950X, I lose "only" 7 - 12% of both single and multicore performance, whilst reviewers have the 100% [baseline] on "supposedly" stock settings.

P.S.: I'm using obscenely expensive two dual CL14 mem kits with and 3800 MHz, running at actual CL14 and 3800 MHz and still nothing.

0 Kudos