Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15008 Discussions

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900H

Abusalah
Beginner

We recently upgraded all of our laptops (14 laptops) from 10th and 11th processors to laptops with 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900H. However, our most important tool is not running properly. The tool is using OpenMP to launch threads and use them for HPC. The following picture is the tool CPU loading on processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H. From the picture you can see four threads pinned on four different CPUs and the performance is very good and threads are scaling. 11Gen.png

Using the same executable (.exe) on 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900H gives us the following CPU loading:

12th gen.png

From the above picture, we can see the 4 threads are running on the same core which making the application very slow!.

Is there anything we should be aware of or any settings we need to do in order to have the previous performance back on the 12th generation?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Abusalah, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

It is important to mention that on a mobile device, such as a laptop, everything is customized by the manufacturer, they can enable/disable BIOS settings as well as features and functions in order for the device to comply with the functionality advertised for their products.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptops?

What is the name and functionality of your tool?

Did your tool ever work fine on the new laptops?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes on the new laptops that might cause this issue?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report from at least one of the laptops showing the problem so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Abusalah, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Abusalah
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for following up, I am currently collecting the data requested and will post them once all is available. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Abusalah, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, no problem at all, go ahead and take your time in order to provide that information. I will be doing a follow-up on this case in a couple of days.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Abusalah, I just wanted to check if you were able to collect the data and if you still need assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Abusalah
Beginner

Hello Alberto, 

Thanks for following up!.

I am working on it, please give me few more days to make sure the problem is not something from our end. I will have everything and all data ready by next week.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hekko Abusalah, You are very welcome, thank you for sharing those updates.

Perfect, no problem at all, take your time, the thread will remain open for as long as you need it. We will be waiting for the documentation next week.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Abusalah
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Please find below the information you requested:

1. What is the model of the laptops?  ThinkPad P1 Gen 5 Intel

2. What is the name and functionality of your tool? The tool is called EMTP and it is used for power systems analysis. It is solving a very big matrix in parallel using OpenMP.

3. Did your tool ever work fine on the new laptops? Never work on any laptop of this brand and works fine on all other laptops with 11th Gen processors 

If yes, when did the issue start? N/A

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes on the new laptops that might cause this issue? No recent hardware/software changes

Which Windows* version are you using? Windows 11 Pro version 22H2

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment? It happen both at home and at work. Please note that the tool is running locally and not on a network/cloud.

Please find attached the SSU report which was generated while the EMTP tool is running (6 threads were running).

Regards,

0 Kudos
Abusalah
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

I noticed that our old laptops processors are Tiger-Lake processors which have 8 similar processors. All the new laptops have Alder-lake processors which are based on bid-little architecture. I thought the problem could be cause by having some threads running on P cores and others running on E cores, so I disabled all E cores from the bios and I got the same behavior. Please see below:

12th gen - P cores only.png

I can see the 4 threads running but why they threads 2,3 and 4 are not utilizing the CPU fully (as we see in thread 1). Please note that with any 11th Gen processor we see full utilization of CPUs.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Abusalah, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Thank you also for clarifying those details about disabling all E cores and how the behavior is the same after that.

Based on that, we will do further research on this matter to try to find a possible solution for this scenario. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Abusalah, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, it is important to mention that, the processor contains two types of cores, denoted as P-cores and E-cores and they share the same instruction set (P-core is a performance core and Ecore is an efficient core). The available instructions set, when hybrid computing is enabled, is limited compared to the instruction sets available to P-cores.

P core and E core frequency will be determined by the processor algorithmic, to maximize performance and power optimization. While executing code, the processor IA core frequency and voltage will be optimized based on workload.

Additionally, the processor supports hyper-threading technology that allows the execution processor IA core to function as two logical processors and while executing some resources each logical processor has its own architectural state with its own registers and controls. Based on that, we determined that the processor is working as expected. 

For more information on this topic please check the processor's datasheet in the section for Power IA Core Power Management, page 60: 

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/655258

In reference to issues with the tool, we recommend to get in contact directly with the developer of the software since the technical specifications of the software are not available from our side.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos