Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

4702MQ Specs Ram module Expansion

SRy00
Beginner

Hi,

i was wondering about the ram expansion possibilities of my fujitsu lifebook e744 (cpu 4702MQ). Intel states here that the maximum ram module is 32gb. Depending the ram type. While fujitsu states that the e744 has a maximum expansion of a Total of 16gb. Furthermore there are some inconsistencies about the ram type, i believe it must be 2 modules of a ddr3L 1600mhz so-dimm. Any suggestions about the maximum ram expansion? Can i order 2 modules of 16gb or is it better to place 2 modules of 8gb?

kind regards,

appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the laptop manufacturer says max 16GB, then I would not attempt to use more than 16GB - at least not without talking to the laptop manufacturer. Their BIOS may not support larger SODIMM sizes (correctly).

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
SRy00
Beginner

Hi,

thank you for your quick reply! I will ask the manufacturer about this. Dont wanna take the risk. Didnt know about the bios being a possible limitation so thanks for the heads up. Best regards, Simeon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me be clear on the impact. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, there are two possibilities for what happens. First, it could not complete POST. The system might generate some sort of error indicator (flashing LED, speaker beeps, onscreen message, etc.) and then it will hang. Second, it could complete POST, go into the boot phase and then cause problems (spontaneous reboots, hangs, etc.) over time. Regardless of what happens, I have never seen a case where over-sized SODIMMs actually cause physically damage to the processor, the motherboard or the SODIMMs, so you don't need to worry about it from that standpoint. I am saying talk to the laptop manufacturer first simply so that you do not get into a situation where you have purchased expensive memory that you (now) cannot use.

...S

0 Kudos