Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

7700K still random freezing

JOHer
Beginner

Original post

Posted in August of 2017

I have owned the CPU since July 2017 and over the past few months I have tried everything except to try and use a different bios chip which my motherboard has 3. The motherboard is a EVGA Z270 Classified K and because the freezing is so random it has takin this long to go thru all the possible things I can try. But time is running out. I had started the RMA process with Newegg back when I still was within time limit but after posting here I thought the CPU might not be the problem. Now I am down to the limit and only one other thing I can try but if that fails then the issue will have to be the 7700K. It has cost me a small fortune already to replace things just to try and fix this issue. One major problem with RMA is I dont have a spare intel CPU so my computer will be down for 2 weeks at least which isnt an option. When my computer freezes there is no warning prior and no report after. The only thing that happens is the catrr light lights up letting me know there is a catastrophic cpu error. I then have to push the reset button. The only noticable thing I can do is when I turn Turbo on in the bios it seems to freeze more often.

Please, this is my first Intel build and was suppose to be my best and has already set me back a lot of cash. There has to be a way to get a replacement CPU before I send the bad one back.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Jerr,

Before I say anything else, let me say this: While the Windows Memory Diagnostic can, in some cases, be a good indicator for obviously bad memory, it is absolutely useless as an indicator for the opposite case. Specifically, passing this test does not (ever!) prove that your memory is good. You need to run a more-sophisticated test program, like MemTest86 or MemTest86+ for a number of days -- but even then I have seen cases where bad DIMMs were not caught.

Ok, I read through your previous posts. I see nothing that would absolutely point to there being a problem specifically within the processor. System resets like this can be caused by a large number of issues, including bad software/drivers, bad or marginal memory, bad or marginal memory bus support on the motherboard or (yes) a bad or marginal memory controller in the processor.

In my experience, if the problem is being caused by a memory issue, in order of likelihood, you should be looking at (1) the DIMMs, (2) the motherboard and then (3) the processor. You said you did some DIMM swapping; did you ever completely replace the memory? Did you ever replace the motherboard?

While I am at it, answer this:

1. Have you verified while running on the latest available BIOS for this board?
  2. Have you verified while running with all default settings in the BIOS?
  3. Have you tested with everything removed? That is, motherboard sitting on desk with nothing plugged into it other than PSU, CPU, one DIMM and keyboard and the only output is video cable to monitor.

Hope this sparks something,

...S

P.S. I vaguely remember reading about a couple of cases recently which had similar symptoms. It was (eventually) determined that the problem was caused by the BIOS' power configuration for the processor. Essentially, the processor was, at certain load levels, being starved for power (receiving a lower that required voltage). The users had to make tweaks in the BIOS configuration to raise the default voltage level (this was within the processor overclocking/performance parameter set). Now, I am not sure which manufacturer's boards or which particular board(s) from that manufacturer had this issue; you will need to search through the postings to determine whether this applies.

0 Kudos
JOHer
Beginner

I have tried one of the other Bios on the motherboard 2 nights ago, still freezing, I have been thru all the power setting suggestions I can find. today I read this post https://forums.evga.com/CATERR-with-new-RAM-Corsair-Vengeance-RGB-Z270-Classified-K-m2684097.aspx https://forums.evga.com/CATERR-with-new-RAM-Corsair-Vengeance-RGB-Z270-Classified-K-m2684097.aspx which is the same caterr light on the same motherboard. I have set the memory lower, ran at default, tested the memory etc. Ever since last July I have tried everything except replace the CPU. I am a Vet on disability and cannot afford to buy another cpu just to test. I really do not want to replace the CPU at all because it is a daunting task with one good hand. But I am faced with the fact it is most likely the problem. Most of all I do not want to be without a PC for a week to 2 weeks. I really need to get this fixed, this is my best build I have done and I really want it working correctly.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions

0 Kudos
JOHer
Beginner

It just froze again while re reading this post. Yes I have replaced the motherboard, was the first thing I replaced, I have also reinstalled windows 3 times, those were the first few things I have tried. Also it may not be a "memory issue" it is a freezing issue with the caterr light detecting a "critical CPU error"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jerr

Thank you for your response.

In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

If at any point you have any problem to run the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*, could you please provide me with your hardware configuration?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jerr

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos