Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14964 Discussions

8700k and ASUS Maximus viii gene Compatibility

EHurs
Beginner

Hello There!

Currently I'm using a 6700k with my ASUS maximus viii gene. The chipset of my mb is Z170. When I check Intel's page supported socket is FCLGA1151 for both 6700k and 8700k. I'm not really expert when it comes to these things and I read some forum posts that 8700k can possibly be compatible with v1 LGA1151. So I'm confused a little bit, can somebody shed some light?

I don't I will be able to use 8700k without changing my motherboard but there is a hope of light there :D

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In order for a particular processor to be used, it must be socket, board and BIOS compatible. The processor must be designed for the socket on the board. The board must be designed to support this processor, providing it with enough power and compatible chipset and memory bus(es). Finally, the BIOS must support this processor, initializing it properly and providing it with the appropriate microcode updates to overcome its errata.

8th gen processors require a board with a 300 Series chipset, so no, you cannot upgrade to this processor without also replacing your board.

...S

EHurs
Beginner

Thank you for reply Scott, I just my suspicions were correct :)

0 Kudos