Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15527 Discussions

AVX 512 Vs AVX 256

arik_123
Beginner
I9-12900 has AVX 512, and now I9 13900 has AVX 256

1. What is the reason for that?

2. Is the 13900 more powerful processor that requires only 256 or maybe the new 13900 has some other application direction.

3. Is it possible that the 12900 is more powerful in parallel vector computing?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @arik_123  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I will do some research on this. As soon as I have updates, I will post them here. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @arik_123  

Thank you for your time. 

1. Let me provide you with this information and the differences between each set of instructions for context: 

Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX and AVX2) 

Intel® AVX is a 256-bit instruction set extension to Intel® SSE designed for applications that are Floating Point (FP) intensive. Intel AVX improves performance due to wider vectors, new extensible syntax, and rich functionality. Intel AVX2 was released in 2013, extending vector processing capability across floating-point and integer data domains. This results in higher performance and more efficient data management across a wide range of applications. Examples are image and audio/video processing, scientific simulations, financial analytics, and 3D modeling and analysis. 

Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel® AVX-512) 

The Intel® AVX-512 enables processing of twice the number of data elements that Intel AVX/AVX2 can process with a single instruction and four times the capabilities of Intel SSE. Intel AVX-512 instructions are important because they open up higher performance capabilities for the most demanding computational tasks. Intel AVX-512 instructions offer the highest degree of compiler support in the design of the instruction capabilities. 

2. Based on Intel Ark, both processors support the same set of instructions: Intel® Core™ i9-12900 and Intel® Core™ i9-13900 Comparison link

3. We cannot tell what processor is better for Parallel vector computing since we are not aware of the requirements of this activity, this will also depend on what your computer requirements would be and then you can choose the processor that fits your needs.

For more information about a set of instructions, you can check the following links: 

Intel® Instruction Set Extensions Technology 

Instruction Set Architecture 

Let me know if you have any more inquiries.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
arik_123
Beginner

Tank you , we will do a bench mark to decide

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @arik_123  

I am glad to help you here, I hope you can find the processor that is better for your projects. 

We will proceed to close this thread now but, If you need any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Have a nice day. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos