Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14841 Discussions

Air cooler for I7 14700k

HernanInside
Beginner

Hi,

I currently have a i5-12400F processor with an Air Cooler ID Cooling 224-xt (specs says it can hold 180W of TDP), on an MSI MAG B660M Mortar Motherboard DDR4 with 2x8gb ram

I intend to upgrade my processor to I7-14700k and 2x16gb RAm, but many reviews says that these processors have a lot of heat and i need at least something more powerfull like a TL Phantom Spirit or Perless Assassin, or a DeepCool Ak620, etc.. basically something above 200W TDP. Im not interested in liquid refrigeration.

Do i really need to upgrade my Cooler to something more potent, or should i undervolt? 

Most regards.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hi HernanInside,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

When choosing a thermal solution (Fan Heatsink) for your system, you will need to consider two factors: The socket (LGA) and the TDP (wattage). There could be other factors to consider, but as a baseline you need to consider these two factors:

1. Look up the socket (LGA) information for the Fan Heatsink to make sure it is compatible with the processor's supported socket and the motherboard.
  2. Look up the Processor Base Power (previously known as TDP) on the processors' product page (ark.intel.com) and make sure that the Fan Heatsink TDP value (wattage) is equal to or higher than the Processor Base Power (previously known as TDP).

The Intel® Core™ i5-12400F Processor features a base power of 65 W, whereas the Intel® Core™ i7-14700K Processor has a base power of 125 W. Given that your Air Cooler ID Cooling 224-XT is rated for 180W, it does satisfy the thermal design power (TDP) requirements of the i7-14700K, allowing you to continue using your existing cooler. If you plan to push your new i7-14700K to its limits, a more powerful air cooler could provide better thermal headroom, ensuring that your CPU runs cooler and avoids thermal throttling. This could be particularly important if you're doing tasks that utilize the CPU heavily for extended periods.

I'm sharing the following link which you might find useful for your inquiry.

How to Choose Thermal Solutions for Intel® Core™ Boxed Desktop Processor

Thermal Management Recommendations for Boxed Intel® Desktop Processors

What Is Undervolt Protection and How Does It Affect Overclocking in Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)?

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi HernanInside,

Good day!

I'm writing to follow up on our earlier messages If you've reviewed them, please confirm their receipt. Should you wish to discuss any points further or need more clarification, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos