Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Anyone know how to enable turbo boost?

idata
Employee

Any reason as to why my TurboBoost isn't working and I can't re-enable it? I've had to reinstall Win7 twice and it still stopped working after a few hours, system restore will not fix it, I did not mess with my BIOS, I'm running out of options...I don't know why it just stops working all of the sudden.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

First let me answer your question. In the bios, under Performance/Processor Overrides you will find the option to enable/disable turboboost.

Next, if turboboost is enabled in the bios and according to msconfig it is disabled this could only mean that some program is causing it to be disabled. Have you tried services in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel to enable it? OR Try disabling one by one programs in the startup and see if the problem is solved. In your other thread you mention about pctuneup 2010 ?. Temporarily remove this and check if turboboost is back. You might need to reinstal the turboboost monitor program to be sure it is not affected by the conflict with whatever program is causing it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

First let me answer your question. In the bios, under Performance/Processor Overrides you will find the option to enable/disable turboboost.

Next, if turboboost is enabled in the bios and according to msconfig it is disabled this could only mean that some program is causing it to be disabled. Have you tried services in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel to enable it? OR Try disabling one by one programs in the startup and see if the problem is solved. In your other thread you mention about pctuneup 2010 ?. Temporarily remove this and check if turboboost is back. You might need to reinstal the turboboost monitor program to be sure it is not affected by the conflict with whatever program is causing it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, will try that. Is it a registry cleaner issue? I use CCleaner and TuneUp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If it is possible for you to uninstal tuneup then do it first. Then run CCleaner to clean your drive. After that restart and run CCleaner again. This time click Tools then select startup. Under startup you can select one program after another and disable them. Then restart the computer after each disable and see if TurboBoost is back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is no option for performance under my BIOS. I didn't mess with the BIOS in the first place to so I don't think thats a problem. But I want to check anyways, how do I get to the performance section of my BIOS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm referring to Intel motherboard bios. I don't know about yours. It must not be an Intel motherboard?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok I was just able to re-enable it under services from Administrative tools. Thanks alot. However, my Turbo Boost monitoring gadget still isn't working. Should I re-install it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try to restart the computer and see in the Administrative tools if it is still enabled. Then check the monitor. If not then reinstal.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks alot for the help though. As for my mobo, I think its an Intel but I'm not sure. How do I check? My BIOS vendor is American Megatrends if that helps. But the main problem is solved. So thanks alot =), I didn't have to reinstall Windows again lol.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

American Megatrend is the bios manufacturer. Since the bios is made by American Megatrend that means that your mobo is not an Intel mobo. You can find that out by referring to the manual of your computer.

As to your problem, I'm glad to hear that it is finally solved. Since you now have a peace of mind perhaps you can now have a good night sleep.

0 Kudos