Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15283 Discussions

Blender 4.0.2 CPU rendering is causing multiple 14900k users to BSOD

VerySillyGoose123
New Contributor I

Hi, about a week ago someone posted a thread about blender crashing and blue screening on their 14900k, (https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Critical-Overheating-Issues-with-i9-14900K-PC-Crashes/m-p/1563723/thread-id/68588)

I'm posting because this is not an isolated issue, over the past week I have seen about 5 different users on the blender forums post about this issue with the 14900k.

they all report this error message occurring "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"
there is more information included in this forum thread on Blenders bug report page, including Mini dump files and crash logs, https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/117368

Please investigate this, its affecting multiple users.

35 Replies
lsteady
Beginner
I've found this article which pretty much sums up the issue we are facing. I will try the steps it recommends, but it definitely seems to be a bit of a luck of the draw as to whether a 14900k chip has these issues, which is quite frustrating.

https://www.pcgamer.com/there-are-increased-reports-of-crashing-in-unreal-engine-games-etc-and-epic-is-blaming-intel-chips/
0 Kudos
VerySillyGoose123
New Contributor I

Hey Lsteady, last night i decided try installing a previous version of blender (3.6), i tried CPU rendering in that version and it works perfectly fine. for some reason the crashes only happen in 4.0.2, im checking out that article you linked now, but isnt it strange the issue only happens in certain versions of software? 

0 Kudos
vmovups
New Contributor I

According to my crash dumps the issue seems to happen on specific code sometimes, updates change the relative location and (maybe)code of functions in the process memory which may therefore seemingly magically resolve or cause new crashes.

0 Kudos
lsteady
Beginner

Yeah for sure, however after lowering my core ratio, I'm no longer facing crashes with Blender, After Effects or Unreal Engine games.

Which before, were all crashing frequently.

0 Kudos
jonahhere
Beginner

Users with Intel Core i9-14900K are experiencing BSOD issues during CPU rendering in Blender 4.0.2. To address this, ensure drivers, especially graphics drivers, are up to date. Confirm using the latest Blender version and monitor CPU temperatures for overheating during rendering. Check for memory issues by running diagnostics or adjusting RAM configurations. Update motherboard BIOS/UEFI for compatibility improvements. Review Blender render settings and experiment with different configurations. Explore community forums for insights and contact Blender support for assistance. Consider alternative GPU rendering as a temporary solution. Check Blender log files for error messages and provide detailed system information in bug reports if issues persist. Always exercise caution when making system changes.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello VerySillyGoose123, 

Apologies for the delay in my reply. I want to let you know that we used Blender 4.0.2 and we downloaded some Demo files from the Blender website. I understand that this is not the news you want to hear as you are experiencing crashes in the software. I can assure you that we are working hard in reproducing the issue to find out the root cause of the problem. I can see that you are having doubts with our simulation. To help us reproduce the issue better, you may also share with us the exact steps and demo file that you are using so we can test it. We can also communicate in a private message if you prefer not to share the file in public. 

As for lsteady, I understand that you need help with the troubleshooting. I highly recommend creating a new thread so we can fully focus on your concern. This will also allow us on the visibility of the issue. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Colosio
Novice

I9 14900k Seems to be my last intel procesor i would EVER buy. such a Scam of a proccesor. not only blender is affected, there are tons of issues in gaming too. Dx12 crashes, fornite is unable to run and so many. intel needs to pull back 14900k.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello VerySillyGoose123, 

I hope you are doing well. I am just looking for an update regarding the possibility of sending us the demo file we requested so we can further try to reproduce the issue. Please let me know if you prefer to converse using private messages as well. 

As for Colosio, 

I can see that you are frustrated and experiencing several issues. We kindly ask if you can let us help you with the troubleshooting so we can further diagnose your CPU. Please create a new thread so we can give you the full focus of our support. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello VerySillyGoose123, 

As we have not heard a response from you in the past few days, we will proceed in closing this case. I understand that you were suspecting that the issue was with the CPU , however, we have tried simulating it on our end and it did not produce the crashing issue. Feel free to try the troubleshooting we have recommended, if in case you still need further assistance, please feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Looneystein
Beginner

Hey Ramyer, 

Thank you for addressing the issues faced in this thread. I hope it is not entirely closed for i am facing exactly the same issue with my file, i am willing to send it to you for review. 

also getting the same "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" error message. 

unfortunately my file is quite big so i cannot upload it here

0 Kudos
Looneystein
Beginner

having the exact same issue here, but it is very new for me, i have been doing renders on 4.02 for quite a while with no crashes. 

hope its not a hardware issue as i just bought this PC from microcenter

0 Kudos
Omkar272
Beginner

This is happening to me and it's extremely frustrating. It is affecting my profession Have invested 5000$ and facing this hardware issue. I tested my PC and  it is definitely blender (any version) and its incompatibility with the 14900k that's causing the issue. I really hope it gets looked into asap. Please  intel look after it. Thanks

0 Kudos
wert5465
Novice

Install water cooling, and also reduce the CPU Ratio by x56, pay attention to the processor temperature!

0 Kudos
CS_Motion
Beginner

Hello guys. I got the solution. I am facing the same issue with my i9 14th gen and I fix this.
Open Device Manager -> disable Intel UHD Graphics 770 and run System on my Nvidia graphics card. and it working very well. now my blender not crashing while rendering.

Before disabling Make sure your Display port is on the graphics card not on the motherboard. otherwise, you will not be showing display after disabling the intel graphics card.
Thank you guys.

0 Kudos
kzaks89
Beginner

this is not a solution....

I don't even have this intel UHD graphics

0 Kudos