Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15135 Discussions

Boot Up Power Consumption (NUC7i7DNK & NUC11TNKi70Z, etc...

DaveyDave
Beginner

Hi,

We are working on a power sensitive application using the smaller profile Intel NUCs. We want to keep the peak power consumption to a minimum and we are aware that it's possible to change the power profile of the NUCs (with impact on the processor frequency) both within Windows and through use of the BIOS. 

However, whilst these controls are effective, there is no apparent way to control the peak power consumption associated with the NUC boot up, which can reach 55Watts or so. Once booted, the NUC only consumes approx 20-30Watts (even though the associated power adaptor is rated at 120W!!).

Does anyone have any recommendations on how this peak power consumption on booting can be controlled and/or reduced?

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,
Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DaveyDave,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I undesrtand that you are having issues changing the system power consumption during boot.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DaveyDave,

There is no way to accomplish what you are looking for. There is no setting in BIOS to limit or reduce the power during bootup.

At startup, a computer draws significantly more power than at idle since it is loading files from its storage medium into RAM and doing a bunch of other things. What you are reporting is normal behavior.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DaveyDave,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos