Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15002 Discussions

Brute Force Intel TPM

NoteKeeper
Beginner
Hello! My Asus Zenbook Flip has a Intel TPM 2.0. Manufacturer Version 500.14.0.0. My System is Bitlocker protected wit 256-Bit encryption. I Use a Pin with 8 digits to unlock it. Now I want to know how the reaction of the System would be if someone stole my PC and there would be a Brute-Force Attack. Finding out a 8-figure pin wouldnt take very long without any delays between wrong PINs, right? Is there any protection against that?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, NoteKeeper.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

Trusted Platform Module (TPM) technology enhances PC security by providing hardware-level protection against malware and advanced cyberattacks. Embedded in modern CPUs, TPM securely stores critical artifacts used for platform authentication, including passwords, certificates, and fingerprints, ensuring that sensitive information remains protected.

For example, when a device like a laptop is powered on, the TPM plays a crucial role in the authentication process. It provides a cryptographic key to unlock the encrypted drive. If the key is validated, the computer will boot up normally. However, if the cryptographic key has been tampered with, the computer will not start.

I wanted to share that we have articles and links regarding the Intel TPM that might address your concern. Please visit the following links:

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
NoteKeeper
Beginner

Hello!

Im afraid Im not really a computer expert. I just want to know if the Pin for my Bitlocker encryption could be bruteforced if someone really tried hard, or how long it would take about to do so. Can you please tell me?

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, NoteKeeper.

Have you had a chance to review the earlier message? Please inform us if you require any further assistance. We're here to help.

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, NoteKeeper.

I trust you're doing well.

I have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos