Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Buy recommendation

JWelk
Beginner

I'd like to buy a new processor, but I'm a little bit Overwhelmed by all the different names and terms. I know only very roughly what cores are and how far GHz influences performance. Currently I own a i7-6700 with 3.4 GHz. The biggest work that my new processor should withstand is to edit 4K videos smoothly in Premiere Pro. In addition, I occasionally play games in which (as far as I can tell), the graphics card plays a bigger role. It would be nice if you could explain to me what the whole numbers stand for (apart from the generation) and how far GHZ affects performance. In the best case, I would be very happy if you could suggest me a few processors that are well suited for my purposes mentioned (editing videos) (do you have own experiences?) I would be very happy about an answer or some advice :)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This all depends upon what you are willing to spend. Once you look beyond the 6th gen processors, you are also looking at having to replace the motherboard as well as the processor and this may also mean replacing the cooling solution and the power supply. If all you want is pie in the sky thoughts, then simply look at a 8th gen Core i7 or Core i9. If you also want to maximize the built-in mitigation for many of the Spectre vulnerabilities, then you want to look at 9th gen processors. You are also going to want lots of cores so that you can avoid using HT.

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, for Video Editing​, I think you have sufficient processing power already (yes, you could do better, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost of a new processor and a new motherboard). What's most important for Video Editing is lots of memory (recommend 16GB or more) and the fastest disks possible (recommend NVMe SSD(s)).

My opinion,

...S

0 Kudos
JWelk
Beginner

Thanks for the answer :) I already got 16GB and a SSD. For Full HD my processor is enough, but with 4K it's really getting to it's limit. Do you have any recommendation for a new one?

Greetings

Jakob

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This all depends upon what you are willing to spend. Once you look beyond the 6th gen processors, you are also looking at having to replace the motherboard as well as the processor and this may also mean replacing the cooling solution and the power supply. If all you want is pie in the sky thoughts, then simply look at a 8th gen Core i7 or Core i9. If you also want to maximize the built-in mitigation for many of the Spectre vulnerabilities, then you want to look at 9th gen processors. You are also going to want lots of cores so that you can avoid using HT.

...S