Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15286 Discussions

CPU大小核调度异常,导致虚拟机卡顿

pppesss
Beginner

您好!

我遇到了一个关于在使用VM虚拟机的问题,由于我的笔记本电脑搭载的是13代CPU,它采用的是CPU大小核的设计,通常情况下,任何程序都应该运行在所有核心上,但是我在使用VM虚拟机时出现了卡顿和性能缓慢的问题。

我打开了任务管理器,发现CPU的大小核没有运转稳定,而是都运行在了小核心上,这导致了我们使用VM虚拟机时出现了性能上的问题。

我想要知道,该如何解决这个问题,以及Intel什么时候会与微软再次合作优化CPU大小核的问题。

我将等待您的答复。

顺祝商祺。

圖片1.png

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will do my best to assist you here. 

Please be informed that Intel Communities support is only provided in English. I have used a web translation tool to translate this response hence, there may be some inaccurate translation.  

Also, we are moving it to the Processors Forum as your post is referring to processor issues, not graphics.

1. Do these issues happen only in the VM or also happens in the PC itself? 
  2. Was it working fine before? 
  3. What do you mean exactly by "performance issues"? What is the specific behavior? Can you provide the screenshots in English so we can understand your issue?

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your response.

I apologize for using Chinese to communicate with you. I will now make an effort to use English in our correspondence.

Regarding the English version of the screenshot, I'm sorry, but my system is in Chinese and cannot display in English. However, you can see in the task manager that not all CPU cores are fully utilized. Only a portion of the cores are active. This significantly affects the performance of my VM virtual machine. The performance issues I mentioned include lag in the virtual machine and poor compilation capabilities.

As for your mention of whether similar issues exist on a Windows system, I haven't found any other software with this problem. It only occurs when using the VM virtual machine.

Additionally, I have a laptop with an Intel 9th generation CPU, and it doesn't exhibit this problem. From my research into the issue, it seems to be related to the hardware design of Intel CPUs because, starting from the 12th generation CPUs, you introduced a design with Performance Cores and Efficiency Cores. I've also noticed that many other users are facing the same problem.

I am eager to find a solution to this issue as it greatly affects the usability of my laptop. I've found that Windows 11 seems to have optimizations for Intel CPU core design, but it doesn't appear to resolve the issue I'm facing.

I will be awaiting your response!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss  

No worries, thank you for your reply. 

In that case, please run the following utility and attach the report so we can investigate more about this: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

Dear Sir,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you until today.

My laptop is not with me at the moment and I will do my best to provide you with the information you need when I get it.

Then I would like to know if there has ever been a case of the same thing? Because at the moment my aim is only to use the VM virtual machine normally, but the Intel CPU doesn't work successfully with all cores.

I would like to seek a solution to deal with this, such as setting it up in the system, etc.

I will wait for your reply.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss  

Thank you for your reply. 

This is the first case I have seen until now, If it were previous cases with the same issue, I would have already recommended some steps, but unfortunately, it is not the case. 

That's why we would like to have your system information to investigate it and see what could we recommend to you about this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

Dear Sir,

I was curious because I searched the internet and found many users having the same problem as me. Many think it's Microsoft's fault because they didn't coordinate the core design of Intel CPUs well.

So I would like to seek some help from you guys to get some suggestions from the source, such as using a CPU that calls all the cores. Is there a setting for this? Or is there official Intel software available?

I will provide you the files you need.

I look forward to your reply.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss  

Thank you for your reply and the report provided. 

Currently, there is no official Intel tool for H processors at least, and there is no such setting. 

Also, I would like to let you know that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. If the processor is used outside of its specifications, the manufacturer's warranty may be voided. 

Please allow me some time to do some research on this. As soon as I have updates, I will get back to you. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me.

I will await your feedback.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss  

Thank you for your time. 

I want to explain that several systems have different components and different customization that will vary on the functionality of technologies, and the fact that the VM works fine with a different Laptop, does not mean it is a processor issue.  

Also, it is worth mentioning that Intel® Virtualization Technology requires a computer system with the following elements: A processor, Chipset, BIOS, Operating system, and Device drivers. To know if your system complies with the virtualization requirements, you need to check with your Laptop manufacturer

Since the issue is only happening with the virtual machine it could be related to virtualization since the processor is not having issues and it supports virtualization technologies. Does My Processor Support Intel® Virtualization Technology? 

Then, you can use the Intel Processor Identification Utility. This application allows end users to obtain information about their Intel® Processor: Name, number, some technologies, and graphics supported. The application lets you check and save the processor information such as frequency, technologies, and CPUID data. There are three sections: Processor Frequency, CPU Technologies, and CPUID. 

As additional information that may be useful to you, there is a list of tools and resources that can be used on processors, but as mentioned above, there is no current tool that manages or controls the cores for locked processors. Resources and Where to Download Intel® Processor Tools and Utilities 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

Your patience in replying is much appreciated.

But this doesn't help me. My problem is not limited to virtual machine as a software, but the core design of Intel CPU causes me to experience performance problems with my laptop. As in the screenshot I provided at the start of the latest.

What is the point of designing CPU cores if you can't use all of them?

I would like to get some source solution from you if the full core of the CPU is called while using the program.

I also searched on the internet and Microsoft claimed that Windows 11 fully adapts the core design of Intel CPUs, but the problem still exists.

I will wait for your feedback.
Good luck.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss  

Thank you for your reply. 

We understand your discomfort and your point of view, however, there is nothing wrong with the screenshot you attached, if not using all cores always for tasks is what you mean by performance issues, this is not considered a performance issue or an abnormal behavior.  

The Operating System decides how to use processor resources to complete the tasks, including the cores, and most of the time, if it doesn't see the need to use all cores, it won't use all of them.  

Also, Intel cannot provide any 3rd party tools as we cannot guarantee they will work as expected and were not designed by Intel. We have several tools and utilities that might be useful to monitor the processor's health, but not for the goal you are looking for, as previously mentioned. 

We recommend you contact your Software Developer of the virtual machines for further assistance with the virtual machines' performance issues. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @pppesss     

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. 

If you need assistance with other matters, please feel free to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos