Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

CPU Upgrade

idata
Employee

Hi, everyone.

I have an HP Envy 17 with chipset HM57. I currently have a core i5-2410M. Would I be able to upgrade the CPU to an i7-2760QM or 2720QM considering it has V-Pro on the CPU and that also I'd be going from a dual core to a quad core also?

Thank you for any advice

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please keep in mind that the compatibility between the Intel processors and the laptop system is determined by the laptop manufacturer, so in this case, you need to contact the laptop manufacturer (Hewlett* Packard*) so they can provide you a list of fully supported processors for your Hewlett* Packard* laptop system.

idata
Employee

The highest processor I've found in the user manual is an i7 2820qm so i should be good with that considering it is in the manual. I do wish to know if i could go as high as a 2860qm tho

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The processor most be listed as supported by the laptop manufacturer manual, if the processor that you want to install is not listed there, it means it will not work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well it looks like it's going to be a 2820QM then. I.m only confused about one thing tho, CPUZ and both Intel say my Socket is 988B, but Intel says that the 2820Qm is socket 998B. Does this mean that the processor won't work with my laptop considering it takes socket 988B and HP must make another motherboard for my laptop? That is just weird it says it will work in my laptop in the manual.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ahh, okay. Then what does the package size mean because that is the one thing that differs from mine? The two package sizes are different. I currently have this processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/52224/Intel-Core-i5-2410M-Processor-(3M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz) Intel&# 174; Core™ i5-2410M Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The package size refers to the dimensions of the specific chip inside the metal surface, this information has no use for final users, as long as the processor is based on same socket and the motherboard manufacturer or laptop manufacturer lists that processor as one of the supported processors for their systems it will work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alright, I am taking your word. Thank you for all your help.

0 Kudos
TSimm2
Novice

With Mobile Processors you need to be aware of "Package Type"

FCBGA1224 = This is soldiered directly to the board

FCPGA988 = This uses a socket

Always check with your Motherboard Manufacture and check for a take apart instructions via the web for your make/model laptop. Sometimes it is a simple process to replace, and other times it is difficult.