Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

CPU multi-core scheduling problem on i7-10870H processors

MacTaylor
Beginner

In daily use, the same CPU core occupancy rate is often high and other core occupancy rates are low, and it occurs stably on the CPU 14, like this:

MacTaylor_0-1658754193088.png

The poor multi-core scheduling capability caused my device to constantly heat up, slow performance, and have high fan noise levels, which bothered me.

Although I am using Windows 11 Insider Preview, this problem has been going on for more than half a year. If it is an operating system problem, Microsoft should have fixed it, but this problem still exists on my device until now.

And this running image is different from the 6700HQ I have used before. The 6700HQ's chart is coordinated and unified, and each CPU has an approximate occupancy rate and change range at the same time, like this:

MacTaylor_1-1658754596154.png

What I wanna know is which factor occurs this problem and if there is a solution to solve this problem.

System Info here:

Operating System Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Workstation Insider Preview
Version: 10.0.25163
Description of other operating systems: No information available
Operating System Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System name: SMB
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: OMEN Laptop 15-ek0086TX
System type: x64-based computer
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 MHz, 8 cores, 16 logical processors
BIOS Version/Date: AMI F.11, 4/18/2022
SMBIOS version: 3.2
Embedded Controller Version: 17.29
BIOS mode: UEFI
Motherboard Manufacturer: HP
Motherboard Product: 878A
Motherboard version: 17.29
Platform Character: Mobile
Safe Boot Status: Off

Graphic 1: Intel UHD Graphic

Graphic 2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello MacTaylor,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-10870H Processor.  

In order to better assist you, please try the following:  

1. Run and provide the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:

2. Do you get any errors or a blue screen of death?

3. Do you have issues with specific games or apps? If so, which ones?

4. What are the temperatures reached by the processor and where did you see them? If possible take pictures.

5. Have you checked this issue with HP?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
MacTaylor
Beginner

Hello DeividA,

I have done all check list that you offered to me, and result is following:

1.I've run the tool and my processors passed the test.

2.Not yet. Even the device always using insider preview builds.

3.Yes I already have some issues. Such as the Genshin Impact from HoYoVerse, it causes frame drop when I am playing. What's more, in VMware Workstation, I found that when the guest OS is Microsoft Windows 7 or higher version it will be very slow in the virtual machine, just like using a Celeron 133MHz Processor.

4.It reached the range in 80~95 ℃ which is shown in HP OMEN Gaming Hub.

5. I have not reported this issue to HP at this time.

And is there a further step to solve the problem? Thanks!

Sorry for my poor English

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello MacTaylor, 

Thanks for the response. In this case, I would like to let you know that the manufacturers (HP, Dell, Asus, Acer) can add, block, and delete features on their systems depending on BIOS capabilities and support. Bear in mind that each system (laptop) can be different and the manufacturer decides the driver customizations (graphics, wireless, audio, etc), cooling solutions, and compatible hardware.

Since the CPU past the test (meaning that the CPU is working fine) and you are using the latest BIOS and HP drivers, and if the issue was also present with the regular Windows 11 version, I recommend you to check with HP for further investigation and instructions. In case you are not using the latest updates from HP, try to get in contact with them to get the files and instructions needed.

Also, your Intel® Core™ i7-10875H Processor can support up to 100°C and any temperature below that is expected as long as they are spikes and the CPU is not stock for long periods of time at these temperatures. This may be caused by a bad cooling solution or thermal past, you may need to contact HP to confirm if you can replace the thermal paste and make sure that you do not lose the warranty.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos