Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

CPU voltage and TDP varies greatly

cperez
Beginner

I have a couple months old PC bought through a company where I selected all parts. Related to this question should be:

• Gigabyte Z590 UD AC motherboard
  • Intel i7 11700KF CPU
  • Corsair H80i pump

The PC came, unfortunately, with a custom BIOS which I had to flash back to Gigabyte's latest one, the F4.

I started looking into how the PC operates since, when gaming, the system gets quite hot. The first thing I realized was that the pump was not operating at full capacity since I can see that the fan is working like it does when the pc is idle.

I haven't had a Gigabyte motherboard in the past, nor a watercooler, but running the simplest Intel XTU benchmark worries me. Looking at XTU numbers:

• Temperature varies between ~40 and ~80 degrees
  • Voltage varies between ~1.240V and ~1.460V
  • TDP varies between ~80 and ~115W

See the below screenshot for reference (1 minute interval), where it can easily be seen the changes in temperature:

tLHOD.png

I compared this to a friend's system that is also a couple of months old, with:

• Asus Z590A motherboard
  • Intel i7 11700KF CPU
  • A watercooler pump with a 240mm fan (don't remember the model)

During the test, his system:

• Temperature varies between ~43 and ~46 degrees
  • Voltage is stable around ~1.330V
  • TDP is stable at ~120W
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The only things I could conclude from what you have stated is that your friend's Asus motherboard and cooler sound like the better products.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello cperez

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. The parameters provided are normal and not harmful to the processor, both systems are expected to behave differently as they use different components. Even between two computers with the exact same hardware, there will be differences.

The company that assembles the computer might include some adjustments that make it operate to those specifications, although it does not greatly affect performance.

You can check the processor specifications here:

We can confirm if the system/processor is working as it should with the following reports:

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
cperez
Beginner

Hi David,

I have run both utility tools and both tell me that everything is OK, so I guess I shouldn't worry much about this.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it now. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

David G  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos