Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14950 Discussions

Chipset Forum? Rant Z790 Optane tech tubers

JTims1
Novice

im asking in processors, but oddly you don't have a chipset forum? i have a Z790 who's fault / mistake is it, that when you can NOT Put your gpu in PCIE16_1  and only in PCIE16_2  that your M.2 NVME 5.0 does NOT work??? Why???? i have a active backplane on my 4090 from ekwb, it is to wide to fit into the first slot, so i have to put into the 2nd slot. but if i want to use pcie 5.0 nvme m.2 slot, it does not work. Also, could you give knowledge to some of your tech you tube people you give hardware to For Free! they sure like to say bad stuff and not even mention the good stuff, and your giving them Free Product! GN helped kill your 11900K without mentioning the benefit of pcie 4.0!  and then jayz two cents can't do math and keeps saying that a pcie 4.0 X16 slot shifts down to pcie 3.0 if you can't run your card at X16, mine is running at pcie 4.0 X8 just fine. it runs at that speed cause i have a Sonnettech allegro pro usb C card at pcie 3.0 X8 in my PCIE16_1 slot, Because of my First Complaint.  Steve from GN is somewhat knowledgeable, but enjoys giving intel a hard time, fine, but he misses a lot of the good, with the bad. i haven't had time to pick through his recent trashing, but im sure he is skipping over the good of 14th gen. jae two cents, meh when it comes to anything above water cooling. Anyways with a BIOS  adjustment can you fix my dilemma? Also re-open optane support on Z790, im sure with bios, i could use spare lanes since it is only pcie 3.0 X2 to make my optane work with a hard drive. you had something cool with Optane cache, but you did NOT Promote in the right areas Gaming a Big win if you emphasized more, Plex Drive on my 10gbe and more and more possibilities. you should of had it working in consoles, before they switched over to full nvme, you would of made a killing. Anyways, this a big rant. but justified. and get that chipset Forum Setup. and Wendell from Level 1 has the only brain, with most of them, LTT stop giving him anything, he just destroys your stuff and it is a Shame, what money does to people. oh and get thunderbolt 2 working again in windows 11, e waste is bad and there is a lot you can still use it for. win 10 if not 11 if possible "Linux?"  Who am i you may ask, is the coming of a great supporter and believer that would/will make proper light of the benefits of intel on youtube soon. i got a real job, just been busy, but im doing it soon. and i buy all your stuff and been testing it many years, many years. have a great day!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @JTims1

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand your concern with the PCI-E configuration, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Could you please provide us with the model of your processor? Or, if your PC is up and running, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

here you go. 12900k asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 EXTREME

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello JTims1

Thank you for the report.

Allow us to check the information internally, as soon as we have any update we will let you know.  

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello JTims1

Thank you for patiently waiting.

According to the report you shared, both of your components (processor and motherboard) support PCI Revision 4.0, so they should be supported.

Also, PCI is backward compatible, so if you are experiencing issues with 5.0, we highly recommend checking with the OEM to verify if there is any configuration needed on BIOS to get it to work or to verify if is not supported at all.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

it's about, how the lanes are divided up/ shut off. there is two physical x16 slots, but they dont work the same. see photos. if i use pciex16-2 because i have to, my waterblock, will not fit in first slot, it turns off m.2_1 ???  makes no sense, should just work the same as if i could put the card into pciex16_1

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but decisions on routing capabilites are made by the motherboard designers. There is not much that we can do to help with this issue.
Sorry,
...S
0 Kudos