Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Core i5 9600k Electrical Specifications Interpretation.

BreezyBadger
Beginner

In document "8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families and Intel® Xeon® E Processor Family Datasheet, Volume 1 of 2" Section 5.4 table 5-5, the core i5-9600k (6-core GT2 classification) gets 95W TDP (Note that "Notes" 10-15 referenced are no where to be found - must of been a Friday and the author had better things to do).

Q1: Is TDP, as in "Thermal Design Power", the rate of heat flow required of the cooling solution (I.e it is NOT an electrical power limit, and 95W refers to the minimum heat flow rate required of the cooling solution)?

Moving on to Section 7.2 - DC Specifications, Table 7-2 provides the following envelope, for the Core i5-9600k (S-Line 6-Core GT2):

• Max Operating Voltage: 1.52V
  • Max Operating Current: 138A

This yields a maximum DC power draw of (an impressive) 209.76W. Furthermore, associated with the current specification, Note 4 states: "Processor IA core VR to be designed to electrically support this current".

Under the boldly optimistic assumption that the cooling solution can dissipate in excess of 210W heat flow (i.e. no significant heat build-up), consider the following:

Q2: Can the chip operate at strictly less than, but very close to, 1.52V while flowing strictly less than, but very close to,138A of current indefinitely, as implied by Table 7-2? (Probably not, but one can hope)

Q3: What is a realistic electrical power limit for continuous operation?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my inquiries, and I suspensefully anticipate clear and unambiguous answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello BBadg

Thank you for the information.

The values on the data sheet for 1.52 V and 138 A are the maximum values that can be used on the Intel® processor, you go can with the motherboard Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for the values supply by their motherboard design to the Intel® processor.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BBadg Thank you for posting in the Intel Community and for bringing up these observations and questions, allow me to investigate the data, I will be posting back when news becomes available. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BBadg Thank you for waiting. In order to understand better you inquire please provide me the following information: • What are you trying to accomplish with this information? • Is this question related to overclocking doubts? • Do you need the info for design or similar development purposes? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BreezyBadger
Beginner

​Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for taking the time to research my question. With regard to my motives, and the given options, I'll take "Overclocking Doubts".

To put my question more bluntly, why do the electrical specifications imply an electrical power limit if 209.76W (138A max @ 1.52V max), while the TDP section states 95W? TDP is not clearly defined. The term "Thermal Design Power" is ambiguous:

• "Thermal Power" implies a rate of heat generation.
  • "Design" is the ambiguous part. It could refer to either the the thermal power output limit (heat generation) of the chip, or the minimum heat dissipation requirements of the cooling solution. Which is it?

If its the former, then clearly the chip cannot handle the electrical limits, if its the latter, then all is good so long as the heat can be removed. This is why I'm asking for clarification.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help, I do realize that any information you provide is "gravy". There's a great over-abundance of mis-information regarding this, and I trust your answers much more than other dubious click-bait on the net.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BBadg Thank you for the clarification about your inquire, allow me to look into it, I will be posting when news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BBadg Thank you for waiting. The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the maximum amount of heat that the processor is expected to output in a realistic but heavy use scenario. TDP is not directly a measure of power consumption per se, but it is still somehow related as 'High power consumption' equals 'more wasted heat', which ultimately translates to a higher TDP. We cannot provide more information as we'll be openly discussing overclocking capabilities and how/to which is something we do not support nor recommend. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BreezyBadger
Beginner

Thank you for the clarification on TDP vs electrical power.

If you may, disregard my comment regarding overclocking, and confirm whether or not the chip can operate at the current and voltage limits provided in the datasheet at stock speeds (I.e Q2 in my initial post)?

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello BBadg

Thank you for the information.

The values on the data sheet for 1.52 V and 138 A are the maximum values that can be used on the Intel® processor, you go can with the motherboard Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for the values supply by their motherboard design to the Intel® processor.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

BreezyBadger
Beginner
0 Kudos
SLv00
Beginner

首先先说作为一个曾经参与了CPU制造设计的人来说,您提出的问题是完全没有符合CPU正常物理电学关系论的观点的,您的意思我大致看懂了,是说CPu功耗大,如何进行降温以保证运行,其实英特尔的CPU分为基本模块的CPU跟超频参数优化CPU,基本CPU是使用寿命比较好的,您买的i59600k是一个超频产品,功耗很大,而且寿命不是太长,需要快速大量散热。

0 Kudos