Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Core i7-11700K: Tj Max = 115°C

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Intel community!

It seems that my i7-11700K is using an incorrect value for Tjunction / Tj Max. According to official specification from Intel ARK database, Tjunction = 100°C (no suprise, I guess).
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/212047/intel-core-i7-11700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

But my CPU belives 115°C is the way to go. Several tool (e.g. Core Temp v1.17.1 and HWiNFO64 v7.00) are telling this. When running Prime95 with Small FFTs, package temperature can easily hit values above 100°C while PL2 is active - WITHOUT thermal throttling. Setting power limits PL1/PL2 to unlimited can enforce this behavior.

Core Temp.png

Is this a known issue? Does anybody have the same strange behavior with a Rocket Lake CPU, especially i7-11700K?

Note: I attached some sceenshots and Intel SSU Log to my post.

My system's specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K
Mainboard: ASRock Z590 Steel Legend (BIOS version: 1.40)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR4 3600 CL16
INF driver: 10.1.18634.8254_Public
Intel Management Engine driver: 15.0.21.1549_CONS_SW_DCH
Intel XTU v7.3.0.33
Mainboard BIOS set to default settings, except RAM (XMP loaded)
CPU settings via XTU: default clock settings, VCore = auto, PL1 = unlimited, PL2 = unlimited, Tau = 56s

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Anonymous

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more information is available or if more details are required.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are comparing the Tj with the Tjmax, not quite the same animal. Still, 115c seems a tad high for Tjmax.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello XY_AB

In regards to this scenario, first, we would like to explain the difference between Tjunction and Tjmax which basically, the Tjunction describes the thermal resistance from the junction to the ambient while the Tjmax is in charge of the cores' temperature and it is calculated based on the DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor). That being said, the Tjunction described in the Product Specifications website (Ark) will not be the same as the Tjmax.

The best course of action here is to try with a supported memory since based on the Intel® SSU report we can see that 3600MHz is the frequency set for the sticks. Is there any way you can try with a different speed (e.g. disabling Intel® XMP) or with another set of RAM that is supported by the processor? The Maximum supported memory speed for the processor is DDR4-3200.

If you are able to try that, please provide a new Intel® XTU screenshots/log with the supported RAM.

It is worth mentioning that we are unable to validate the usage of third-party apps since we don't know how these tools are reading the sensors of the processors. In regards to the Intel® XTU, it is showing that there is no thermal throttling which means that the processor is not showing discrepancies in regards to the temperatures mentioned above.

Lastly, could you please confirm if you are having any bugs or errors in the PC due to temperatures?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello XY_AB

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello XY_AB

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos