Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Disabling intel i7 920 "cpu vr current limit override" option in bios

SDas19
Beginner

Hi, I have an intel i7 920, intel dx58so mobo, 12 gb ddr3, gtx 970 video card, corsair vs650 psu. Recently some overloading happened while playing a game and my mobo got damaged and I had to repair it. They had to replace 6 ics from the voltage regulator area of the mobo.

Now it is working fine again except for the fact that i have turbo boost disabled now..as this burnout probably happened due to the cpu drawing more and more current from the psu while gaming. Previously I had turbo boost enabled and "cpu vr current limit override" enabled. That used to draw about 143 watts compared to the normal 130 watts of the cpu tdp. I have not overclocked anything and run at stock cpu speed.

Now my question is if i turn on turbo boost and keep that "cpu vr current limit override" thing disabled, will i get the extra boost while still staying at 130 watts ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Juan_V_Intel
Employee

Hello mrsam2017 ,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you had issues with your motherboard.

In this case, the "CPU VR current limit override" should be disabled.

Even when your motherboard has this setting, your processor is not an extreme or unlocked processor, and the feature shouldn't be used.

If the TDP goes above 130 W it means that its power consumption and voltage are increasing and this is considered overclocking.

In addition, if the TDP increases, the processor's temperature will increase which may cause the system to overheat, and this eventually will cause the CPU to fail.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,Juan V.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mrsam2017,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos