Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Faster memory with a i9 10900 (non-K) processor

Donnovan
Beginner

If i have a Z490 motherboard and a i9 10900 (non-K) processor can i use 3600/4000/4400 Mhz DDR4 memory in it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Donnovan, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

This Intel® Core™ i9-10900 Processor supports DDR4 memory at 2933 MHz, this is the maximum speed supported by the CPU in terms of memory, check that here under Memory Specifications

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199328/intel-core-i9-10900-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html 

Remember that this is a locked CPU, therefore; it is not supported for ocerclocking. However, in some cases depending on the motherboard and RAM, you may be able to increase the speed of the RAM either manually, or using Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP): 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html 

You need to keep in mind that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.  

Based on this, you can check with your system manufacturer (OEM) and the RAM's manufacturer for the speeds supported, nevertheless; if you operate the memory beyond 2933 MHz, it can become unstable and reduce the useful life of the CPU and other components. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Donnovan, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

This Intel® Core™ i9-10900 Processor supports DDR4 memory at 2933 MHz, this is the maximum speed supported by the CPU in terms of memory, check that here under Memory Specifications

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199328/intel-core-i9-10900-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html 

Remember that this is a locked CPU, therefore; it is not supported for ocerclocking. However, in some cases depending on the motherboard and RAM, you may be able to increase the speed of the RAM either manually, or using Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP): 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html 

You need to keep in mind that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.  

Based on this, you can check with your system manufacturer (OEM) and the RAM's manufacturer for the speeds supported, nevertheless; if you operate the memory beyond 2933 MHz, it can become unstable and reduce the useful life of the CPU and other components. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Donnovan
Beginner

Thanks for your answer Sebastian,

If i use a 2933 Mhz memory in it, can i use 1.2 or 1.35 Volts memory or i need to use 1.2 Volts memory?

I looked for some 2933 Mhz memory and i mostly find 1.35 Volts ones.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Donnovan,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I am attaching the Datasheet for this i9-10900 processor, please check the page 17, section 2.1 "System Memory Interface": DDR4 I/O Voltage of 1.2. 

In that case, you can still check with your motherboard and RAM's manufacturer for memory compatibility, since some RAMs will have SPD voltage (which is lower e.g. 1.2V) and tested voltage (higher one, e.g. 1.35V, most likely with Intel® XMP) 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Donnovan,  

Were you able to check the previous post with the information provided? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Donnovan,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos