Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14876 Discussions

GPU RAM usage Ultra 5 125H/155H

peter-sk
Beginner

Hi,

does anyone know how much of the RAM can be used for the GPU/NPU in the Ultra 5 series? I have see some reports of up to 48 GB in a system equipped with 96 GB (2x 48GB DIMMs).

The official datasheets of the APUs and of systems integrating them (from Asus and ASRock) don't mention this aspect at all.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello peter-sk, 

Upon checking , I can confirm that the Ultra 5 125H and Ultra 7 155H is capable of supporting up to 96 GB of RAM with memory types Up to LPDDR5/x 7467 MT/s and Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s. You might also want to check this comparison table. However, I did notice that you mention ASUS and ASRock as well, may I please know the specific laptop model that you are looking at? 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
peter-sk
Beginner

Dear RamyerM_Intel,

currently I am interested in the limitations of the APU. I am already in contact with the manufacturers about their mainboards.

Thanks for your answer, confirming that 96 GB can be addressed by the CPU. My question still stands, though, whether all of this memory can also be addressed by the GPU/NPU parts of the APU?

Concretely: Could I load a machine learning model needing 68 GB of GPU memory and run inference on this using the GPU/NPU cores?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello peter-sk,  

I want to double check this information with our team . Kindly please allow me to coordinate this and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello peter-sk,  

Thank you for patiently waiting . Upon coordinating with our team , we want to let you know that Intel® graphics share the system memory, which is usually half the capacity of the system physical memory.

For your reference, you may also check out this articles: 

However, for the NPU usage, it will depend on the model, feature/function, application and complexity of entire task. For example in Audacity noise cancellation took around 2GB and music generation around 6GB of RAM. 

Hope this clarifies your inquiry. If you have further questions, feel free to let me know. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello peter-sk,  

I am just checking in you have additional questions. Feel free to let us know and we will answer it for you . I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos