Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14985 Discussions

Having to underclock my 13900k to run blender

flynnholland
Beginner

Hi, I have bought a 13900K as an upgrade from my AMD 3600 CPU and I am a 3D Artist that works within blender. Ever since I have bought the 13900K CPU, Blender has been incredibly unstable, Crashing randomly every 5 minutes, crashing when moving the armature around in pose mode or crashing while trying to render. 

All these frustrations let me down a path of trying to fix this issue and the only thing that has made this 13900K CPU remotely stable is by under-clocking the base speed to 3GHz. I have tried undervolting, Changing the base clock speeds but anytime I do my PC will be even more unstable. 

What is the point of buying the 13900K when its incredibly unstable? I am forced to make this CPU under-clocked at a speed no greater than my AMD 3600.

Crash logs from blender are provided.

SPECS of my machine:
13900K CPU
GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX LGA1700 ATX MOTHERBOARD
64GB DDR5 CORSAIR RAM
RTX 4090 GPU
1200W PSU

I have also done the following to make sure there arent any issues with other PC components: 

Updated my motherboard to the latest drivers

Memtestx86 and both sticks passed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShunMnzed
New Contributor I

hello there @flynnholland 

Given your detailed efforts and the crash logs you've provided, it does seem like there's a deeper compatibility or performance issue with the 13900K in your specific setup. Considering the drastic measure of under-clocking to maintain stability at a level comparable to your previous AMD 3600, it's clear that the 13900K isn't performing as expected for your Blender tasks. I recommend checking with Blender's official support forums or community channels. Sometimes, specific software optimizations or updates can address performance issues with newer hardware. Since you've already updated your motherboard drivers, it might also be worthwhile to ensure that your BIOS firmware is up-to-date. Sometimes, newer BIOS versions can resolve compatibility issues with the latest CPUs.

please visit this link: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/June-2024-Guidance-regarding-Intel-Core-13th-and-14th-Gen-K-KF/m-p/1607807#M73544

Tyler

0 Kudos
flynnholland
Beginner

Hi, I have updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version and it did not fix anything in regards

0 Kudos
ShunMnzed
New Contributor I

Intel mentioned that they are continuing to investigate this from their partners as the recent user reports of instability or even crashing issues in certain workloads for 13th and 14th CPUs

They recommended maximizing the stability for currently installed CPUs. Can you try these settings from your motherboard?

Table 1. RPL/RPL-R K SKU Recommended Settings

Parameter / Feature

Value

CEP (Current Excursion Protection)

Enable

eTVB (Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost)

Enable

TVB (Thermal Velocity Boost)

Enable

TVB Voltage Optimizations

Enable

ICCMAX Unlimited Bit

Disable

TjMAX Offset

C-states

Enable

ICCMAX

Varies, Never >400A*

ICCMAX_App

Varies*

Power Limits (PL's)

Varies*

...you'll see information to this link.

Tyler

0 Kudos
flynnholland
Beginner

450853867_1682478475842597_6873349883687360761_n.jpg

 So I changed the CPU settings and made the base clock speeds back to auto and it seems to be stable, ill do some proper stress testing but so far so good

0 Kudos
AllStars
Novice

let me add up some information I wanted to know if the CPU passes the test. Please run this tool to diagnose potential issues with your 13900K processor. 

go to tools > config > preset. You have three preset choices listed below, click Start Test to start any of these tests:

• Quick Test: Sets all Intel® PDT features to disabled. Run Genuine Intel, Brand String, and Frequency Test.
  • Functional Test: Enables all Intel® PDT features and runs Intel® PDT stress test for minutes. This is the default Intel® PDT setting.
  • Burn-in Test: Enables all Intel® PDT features and runs Intel® PDT stress test for 120 minutes. You may also turn on looping with this Burn-In setting.
0 Kudos