Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

High temperatures in daily basis working conditions.

Grizzlys2k
Beginner

Hello!

I bought a pre-build pc about 2 weeks ago- HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, with Intel Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB and I only added a Samsung NMVE Evo plus drive for operating system.Motherboard has H370 chipset.

The problems I am experiencing with it are under normal workloads where CPU load is 55-60% the temperatures go way up and reach 90C..Turbo boost is stable at 4,28 Ghz untill the temp is above 93C then it begin to thermal throttle about 20%. The cooler is stock Intel cooler.

The case is pretty small too..I have not experienced any blue screens or errors...except dropping performance and lower framarates untill the temps are below 80C. I have not overclocked anything and I dont intend to..all I want is normal temp and to avoid thermal throttle!

If I try a FPU stress test CPU reaches instantly 95C and TDP is around 100W begins to thermo throttle untill the stock cooler kicks in to cool it off faster...so I tried to avoid stressing it for long time...but I am still experiencing CPU throttling and overheating in video editing and broascasting tasks.

I am having the latest BIOS update and latest WIndows 10 64-bit with the updates etc...there are no Options in BIOS

Changing the cooler will void warranty.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, your processor's Tjmax = 105c.

If you are not seeing temperatures go above 93c in gaming and you have this protection that keeps it below 96c during heavy load conditions, then you should be fine.

As I said, any throttling that occurs at temperatures below Tjmax is throttling that has been implemented in the BIOS ACPI code (along with fan control changes).

...S

View solution in original post

12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These are questions you should be asking HP. They designed the cooling subsystem, so they should be able to help you resolve this issue.

...S

Grizzlys2k
Beginner

Well I did that and they said everything is fine as long as the temps are below 100C...meaning in Intel specs...but I still think these are too high..although I stepped up to this processor from an i5-3470 which on full load was never over 56C..I was expecting that this i7-8700 to run much hotter...but not that hot as it will throttle

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello Grizzlys2k, We would like to take a look at your system configuration. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Also, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Grizzlys2k
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

Thank you for replying! I here attached the requested info.

0 Kudos
Grizzlys2k
Beginner

Thank you again

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did I understand you correctly? You're saying that the throttling occurs until the temperature drops below 80c? The processor-based throttling mechanism, implemented by the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC), automatically kicks in when the temperature reaches the TCC Activation Temperature, also know as the Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax), which is somewhere in the vicinity of 100c. Once the temperature falls below this threshold, however, processor-based throttling stops. If you are seeing throttling continue to happen until the temperature drops (or seems to drop) below 80c, then this means that the BIOS is implementing its own (ACPI-based) processor throttling mechanism based upon temperature and/or (more likely) power. You need to get an explanation of how this is being implemented by HP and whether there are any BIOS Configuration parameter(s) that will allow you to control its implementation.

Hope this helps,

...S

Grizzlys2k
Beginner

Motherboard and BIOS are HP Propietary...there are no options in BIOS you can set to power, voltages, frequency...anything...and sadly HP is not giving any information about cooling design or how they implement stuff.

My only worry is that continuing to work like that with the processor in these high temps interval will cut off its lifespan...I also dont want to give up 2 year warranty for changing thermal paste or Intel stock cooler.

0 Kudos
Grizzlys2k
Beginner

So can you tell me if my temp are safe to use or shall i go to HP service and ask for cooler replacement?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In the processor test, temperatures look fine. When you are gaming, these higher temperatures are considered acceptable by Intel. If you are seeing temperatures reach 100 or higher, then I would be concerned about lifespan degradation.

...S

Grizzlys2k
Beginner

Thank you for your reply!

In the test I saw that max temp for Tjunc is 105 is that correct? or 100?

Well I have not seen temps over 93C in games or my work....if it reaches 96C throttling begins...and cooler kicks in and spinns faster (getting noisy too)

So you say I am all safe? I have a 2 year warranty for this pc anyway...in case something wrong happens

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, your processor's Tjmax = 105c.

If you are not seeing temperatures go above 93c in gaming and you have this protection that keeps it below 96c during heavy load conditions, then you should be fine.

As I said, any throttling that occurs at temperatures below Tjmax is throttling that has been implemented in the BIOS ACPI code (along with fan control changes).

...S

Grizzlys2k
Beginner
0 Kudos