Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

How are new Xeons scalable exactly?

Bob
Beginner

I spent fair amount of time trying to figure out what is scalability in new Xeon Scalable CPUs?

But it is all marketing drivel about datacentres needed them. I appreciate marketing is important. But can someone explain for an individual - in what sense and how exactly these Xeons are scaling up/down technically?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioS_Intel

Hello Bob,

I am following your question in regards to the Intel(R) Scalable processors and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

8 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello Bob,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

The Intel Scalable processors are workload-optimized to support hybrid clouds, high-demand applications, hardware-based security and dynamic service delivery.

The Intel Xeon Scalable processors deliver all this, and more, with some highly innovative new features. These include Intel Advanced Vector Extension 512 (Intel AVX-512), which improves workload-optimized performance and throughput. Another new feature, Intel QuickAssist Technology (Intel QAT), speeds data compression and cryptography.

Additionally, high-speed Integrated Intel Ethernet, lowers power consumption while improving the transfer latency of large storage blocks and virtual machine (VM) migration. And iWARP technology accelerates the Ethernet by managing RDMA network connections, eliminating queues and network-related interrupts. This improves the performance of certain applications, including Storage Spaces Direct and VM migration.

You can find more additional information here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/xeon/2nd-gen-xeon-scalable-datasheet-vol-1.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/xeon/2nd-gen-xeon-scalable-datasheet-vol-2.html

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Bob

I am following your question in regards to the Intel(R) Scalable processors and we would like to know if you need more help.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Bob
Beginner
I really would like to understand technical details. On what level it is scalable - CPU, system or data centre? Give me a crude example - workload goes up xx% - what changes in regards of scalable xeons?

Or if that is difficult to explain too - try to tell me which part of a scalable xeon is different from previous generation of xeons?

Or is it just a marketing name? Like Gherkin in London whis isn't pickled cucumber but a building?
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Bob,

Allow us to check on your question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Bob,

I am following your question in regards to the Intel(R) Scalable processors and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Bob
Beginner
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Bob,

We are glad to hear that we were able to assist you.

We are going to close this thread.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos