Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14537 Discussions

I am a novice dealing with a pc, but I would like to try and upgrade my Single core Intel/celeron 450 processor. Is it difficult? Any upgrade would be a step up but I would like to make it as easy as possibel. Dual core? Any advice would help. TY.

CHart6
Novice

I am a novice dealing with a pc, but I would like to try and upgrade my Single core Intel/celeron 450 processor. Is it difficult? Any upgrade would be a step up but I would like to make it as easy as possibel. Dual core? Any advice would help. TY@

1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Before you can attempt any upgrade of a processor, you must contact the manufacturer of your PC/motherboard and ask them what processors are supported by THEIR BIOS.

An upgrade is only possible if the upgrade processor is socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible, and if the processor is NOT SOLDERED to the motherboard.

Doc

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Before you can attempt any upgrade of a processor, you must contact the manufacturer of your PC/motherboard and ask them what processors are supported by THEIR BIOS.

An upgrade is only possible if the upgrade processor is socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible, and if the processor is NOT SOLDERED to the motherboard.

Doc

CHart6
Novice

The PC is an Emachine. How do I contact the MFG?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
NAhme2
Novice
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There is an echo in here.

Doc

0 Kudos
CHart6
Novice

Thank you!! Yes an echo. lol

0 Kudos
NAhme2
Novice

Hi Intelligentone,

First of all you may need to know your motherboard well if you go with upgrades. Check out your motherboard model on Intel web site for Supported CPU list.

CHart6
Novice

Thank you for responding. Do I have to go in and find the make /model of the motherboard?Is it written on it?

0 Kudos
NAhme2
Novice

There are multiple option to find the the actual emachine board through Support page http://emachines-us.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch eMachines Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - Live Chat

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Intelligentone,

In this case, you computer manufacturer determines if the processor can be upgrade or not in your system and what processor is compatible.

Even though you motherboard has the same socket for this processor, the BIOS needs to be compatible as well, now. Laptops are far more picky than desktop PCs about such upgrades and depend on a couple of factors: whether the CPU is fixed to the chipset with adhesive or had the pin welded to the socket, and whether it's accessible and can therefore be removed and replaced.

Laptops are created on special frames that ensure all parts fit snugly and correctly each time one is created. Manually opening up a laptop and doing anything more technical than swapping hard drives or adding more RAM isn't the easiest of processes and will almost certainly invalidate your warranty.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Intelligentone,

In this case, you computer manufacturer determines if the processor can be upgrade or not in your system and what processor is compatible.

Even though you motherboard has the same socket for this processor, the BIOS needs to be compatible as well, now. Laptops are far more picky than desktop PCs about such upgrades and depend on a couple of factors: whether the CPU is fixed to the chipset with adhesive or had the pin welded to the socket, and whether it's accessible and can therefore be removed and replaced.

Laptops are created on special frames that ensure all parts fit snugly and correctly each time one is created. Manually opening up a laptop and doing anything more technical than swapping hard drives or adding more RAM isn't the easiest of processes and will almost certainly invalidate your warranty.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos