Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15282 Discussions

I9 14900k energy consumption

Andrxcap
Beginner
Hi! I purchased 4 14900k processors and no one of them with stock settings respects 253w in cinebench r23 or heavy duty loads. I tryed to undervolt and Udine also a very light LLC But i can’t go under 270/280 without have blue screen.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Andrxcap, 

Please share with us the motherboard model of these 4 14900k. You may also submit the SSU logs as well. This way, we can have a better idea of what could be causing the blue screens. 

I also noticed you used Cinebench for benchmarking your CPU. I want to let you know that this is a 3rd party software. Kindly please use the Intel XTU for benchmarking and stress testing your system at this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hi Andrxcap,

I am just following up about the logs and and motherboard model of your CPU. Feel free to reply to this post so we can further assist you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
I tryied as you told me Intel xtu but it seems to be expressly Made to observe power limit 253w. But is unacceptable a I9 K with high SVID. So the cpu as not K OC potential ti be competitive for the future. I requested an rma to Amazon. I changed 4 cpus no one of these with good v core vid voltages all near 1.5 and no one near 1.4v. It seems best samples were in first release. I am frustrating to have a new bad one near in a dead platform near the 15th gen revolution
0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
I m usi gli an apex encore z790 with powerfull custom loop cooling. 2 radiators 560mm, 37 W pump and ek waterblock only for cpu. 340 W stock settings hitting over 90 celsius
0 Kudos
佑綺_Mayu
Novice

I'm curious, is your motherboard BIOS fully updated and before adjusting anything the BIOS, did you reset the BIOS to default? I'm asking this because most mobo these days has AI tuning which interferes with XTU or other OC applications.

Could you provide the system information of your system? I'd like to see some of the of specs of your system. I have a 14900k and 14700kf and checking on the voltage it is within your said voltage but the temps are good. This is on stock settings btw 

If you want to know my specs

Mobo: Z790 Hero Eva

CPU: 14900k / 14700kf 

GPU: 4090 EVA 

CPU cooler: Ryujin 3 360

PSU: Corsair shift

RAM: XPG lancer 

Heres the hwinfo if you want to see it for the 14900KF

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

.....you have 2x 560mm? like this thick as here in screenshot? : 

KrissyG_2-1708152622915.png
There is only that much energy those can give away to the air that runs through. 
if you get your CPU to 340W then that us actually quite good.

I have 2x 420mm but they are only ~50mm thick, those can take up to 285W from the i7 13700k for few seconds, and 260W for 5~8 minutes before the system starts to throttling some more.
On this forum you can learn that it is normal for the CPU to hit 100°C

KrissyG_4-1708156769985.png

What cooling block are you usinf for the CPU?

0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
I got 270/280w with the lightest LLC1 on apex encore bios 0801 But stabile only with water under 18c celsius. And cpu temps doesen’t go over 74c. But is not comfortable to be in a cold room. I9 14900k must have stock vid around 1.4 and not around 1.5. Only a little number of them is so good as a decent “k” must be to have a good oc potential to be competitive in future. I m waiting for my last cpu it is a batch x335k178 hoping this wil be better. I wil give update soon as possible
0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
100c is unacceptable because silicon is near cooking and performance are cutted by thermal throttling. And without a good cooling system and a premium thermal paste cpu is far to be 100% used
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

So, you mentioned you have a motherboard from ASUS and that voltage hits 1,5V in that case you may be interested in this video by Gamers Nexux -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGfc-JBxlY

Or if you do not want to click on any links on here, go youtube and search for "gamers nexux ASUS: Overvolting CPUs".
It seems Asus done something very NOT cool.

Secondly, yes, i am not used to temps higher than 60°C myself, however, who ever came up with such small die on a 250~350W CPU, designed it to overheat constantly. 
Normal water blocks are physically not capable of transfering so much energy from such small CPU to the water. 
Room temp is at 19~20°C, water....who nows, but i checked it before with e thermal camera, and the water barely gets over 40°C at full CPU load. This means the air takes only 20°C from the water or much less than that* = to little energy exchange between CPU and water block.

Now, premium thermal paste....like Kryonaut? i tested it by now twice, Kryonaut loses indeed perfromance over time and that is days, not even months.

MX4 is good, but Noctua NT-H2 seems to be slightly better, at least with what i have - Heatkiller IV Pro. None of those thermal pastes are premium, yet seem unbeatable.
I could not get more than like 265W on Kryonaut, but i get up to 285W on NT-H2 and far less thermal throttling. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Andrxcap, 

I noticed some suggestions have already been made in this thread. We want to continue investigating this for you so we can understand your situation better. please share with us the following: 

1. What is the reason why you're trying to undervolt your system? This will help us better understand your situation and provide accurate answers.

2. What is the BSOD error message you're getting?

3. Please Run IPDT to check the processor functionality. For reference, you can check this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

4. What is the result of the AVX2 when running it in XTU?

We hope to receive the requested information soon.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
I m waiting for a new one in few days. Hoping it will be better than last i had. I m undervolting because i want around 253w power comsuption in every scenario and save power and stay very far from 100c temps. How can i upload pitctures?
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@Andrxcap wrote:
How can i upload pitctures?

There is more than one option to share pictures on here.
1. take a screenshot with keyboard shortcuts or Snippin Tool (it's a windows 7 and 10 program) and with ctrl+V you paste it directly here. This is how i did this:
KrissyG_0-1708383653351.png

2. You can browse for files and upload them.
3. You can hit that 'insert photos' icon i marked with one of the arrows, but that will do exactly as 'paste' of a screenshot, except that allows browsing for pictures too.

My fav option is the first one, you take a screenshot, open paint to edit it, or photoshop, paste if it there, edit , copy and paste here. 

0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Andrxcap 

I will be waiting for you to share the information we have asked in my previous post. Kindly let us know so we can further check your concern

Also I would like to thank you and KrissyG for being active in our community and helping each other.

Feel free to post here the information so we can properly investigate it for you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
Today cpu must be delivered. This evening i will try
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Andrxcap

Feel free to update us on the result. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support technician 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Andrxcap, 

I am just checking on the result of your test. Feel free let me know in this post so we can further check this for you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Andrxcap, 

As we have not heard a response from you. We will proceed in closing this thread. In case you need assistance in the future, feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
Sorry to not post reponse. This one is ok for vcore and Temps. But i tryed memory oc and with this sample with my teamgroup 2x24 8200(xmp) can get stable 8400oc on apex encore. This 14th gen is a great delusion…impossible to find good cpu both vcore and memory controller. I m thinking to ks edition maybe the only solution for the perfect cpu for a Rtx 4090. Tool now i only lost a lot money, time with no joy
0 Kudos
Andrxcap
Beginner
Ram oc 8400mhz after 2:30 mins in occt gets errore. There are processors out there that can do 8800mhz With same hardware i have, but i cant go over 8200xmp. Where is i9 K quality i paid for?
0 Kudos