Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15127 Discussions

IMC test failed

idata
Employee

I just finished piecing my new build together. I am using the same PSU (Corsair 850i), video card, and SSD as my previous build, which was working without any issues.

After I started a game up (any game) I noticed there were significant issues with frame rate. So I downloaded and ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and came up with these results:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

IMC Test

Module Version: 1.0.7.64b.W

Start Time: Sat Jun 11 02:26:09 2016

Test Result - FAIL

--- Reading Memory Size ---

Unable to retrieve memory size.

-- - Memory Size Test Fail!!!-- -

End Time: Sat Jun 11 02:26:09 2016

Total Time: seconds: 0

--- IPDT64 - Temperature Monitor Results

Temperature Monitor will begin when CPULoad Test starts

Temperature Monitor Stopped

System Information

------------------

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @ 3.20GHz

Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 79 Stepping 1

Number of Physical Cores: 8

Number of Logical Cores: 16

Installed System Memory: 8 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Graphics Information: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

System Product: X99-A II

System BIOS: 0601

System Serial Number: System Serial Number

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 6/11/2016 2:26:09 AM

--- IPDT64 - Result: Fail

Everything else before IMC passed, it never continued onto PCH/IGD/GFX/Load.

I have four sticks of memory, and I've run the test with each individual stick, and ended with the same result. I'm leaning towards the processor being the culprit. Or can the board also be the problem? The BIOS is up to date.

The temperatures for the all processors appear to be fine.

Some extra information in the case that it may be needed.

The new hardware:

- i7 6900k

- Asus x99 A-II

- Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 MHz

Proven hardware:

- PSU (Corsair 850i)

- Intel 750 SSD

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

First, do you have the latest version of the IPDT tool, and is it compatible with Broadwell-E processors?

Next, did you install the updated Intel Management Engine (IME) software, that should now be available on your board's download page? The new IME software is required for full support of your Broadwell-E processor.

The UEFI/BIOS compatibility update for Broadwell-E processors (which you must have if you are using one) included an update to the IME firmware, that is part of the UEFI/BIOS file. The new IME software is needed to complete the Broadwell-E compatibility update on your PC.

Also, your memory may not be completely compatible with a Broadwell-E processor. If your memory was meant for Skylake systems, which have some differences in the DDR4 voltage configurations, that might also be the cause.

0 Kudos
YHu19
Beginner

So I have new information.

I have reformatted into Windows 8.1, and installed the drivers, and the test would pass. However, when I install Windows 10 and install the drivers, the IMC test would fail. I have made sure that I installed the proper drivers for both systems, and both are on 64 bit.

Anyone have ideas?

0 Kudos
PKong4
Beginner

Hey bro

I had exactly the same problem on my ASUS X99-Pro mobo, latest BIOS version. On that board I was using the i7-5930K and 32GB (8x4GB modules) Crucial 2133MHz RAM and Windows 10 Pro. I was using latest released IPDT tool, no overclock (all BIOS settings was default). One thing I noticed was Windows saying 31.9 GB RAM and not 32GB and this is actually the reason why I installed the IPDT program.

I never did any kind of fault isolation on that board since my new mobo and CPU had arrived, was just missing the new RAM modules.

I assembled the new ASUS X99-Deluxe II with the i7-6900K but was re-using the 8x4GB Crucial RAM modules. Made a new Windows 7 Ultimate installation and still same problem as you:

Test Result - FAIL

--- Reading Memory Size ---

Unable to retrieve memory size.

-- - Memory Size Test Fail!!!-- -

Win 7 also showed 31.9GB all other programs showing 32GB.

Been running different kind of memory testing tools, no problems found.

Then updated the X99-Deluxe II mobo to latest BIOS version, same problem.

I then upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10, still the same fault with the IMC.

2 days later my new 64GB (4x16GB modules) Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz arrived and was installed.

BIOS settings all set to default settings.

Ran the IPDT test and it completed without any issues and Win 10 now shows 64GB.

ATM I have no idea why it fails on the 8x4GB modules, never had any problems with that RAM except as mentioned above.

Before reading your OP I suspected it could be related to the number of memory sticks, as said I had 8 RAM modules installed, but you're only using 8GB (4x2GB).

Both of my RAM types are recommended by ASUS and Intel for use with each mobo and CPU.

I don't think my information can help you that much, but at least you now know you're not the only one with that problem.

Best regards

DeHAWK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Warlen:

I just wanted to check if the problem remains or if the processor is working fine now.

This problem could be related to the processor itself, as you said before, but also it could be related to the memory itself, not being fully compatible with the Intel® i7-6900k processor.

Could you please provide a part number of your memory, so we can check the specifications on it?

You can find the part number on the stick itself.

Do you have the option to use another memory kit?

Also, as it was suggested on the thread, you can try to restore the BIOS to defaults and test it again.

If you have the option to test the board with a different processor, same model, and run the test again, will be great, since we will be able to confirm if in fact there is a problem with the processor.

You do have 3 years of warranty on it, so, if you don't have the option to use another processor with the same board, we can always replace it for you, keep in mind that it could be related to the memory itself, here you have the link where you can check the proper memory for this processor, remember that the voltage should be 1.2 since it is DDR4:

http://ark.intel.com/products/94196/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-Processor-20M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz?q=Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i7-6900K%20Processor%20(20M%20Cache,%20up%20to%203.70%20GHz) http://ark.intel.com/products/94196/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-Processor-20M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz?q=Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i7-6900K%20Processor%20(20M%20Cache,%20up%20to%203.70%20GHz)

If you are interested in replacing the processor, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email online support or phone support, here is the link to do that:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for helping with this Alberto, This is Warlen, I believe I may have accidentally changed my handle.

So there was a new piece of information. In Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit, I was able to run the Intel Diagnostic Tool and pass all tests with the exact same hardware. However, in Windows 10 64 bit, the test would fail in the same way as listed above. I suspect the issue lies on the Intel Diagnostic Tool and compatibility with the Hardware+Windows 10, rather than the hardware itself.

To summarize:

Windows 10 x64 (All up to date drivers for the correct OS) = IMC Failure on Intel Diagnostic Tool

Windows 8.1 x64 (All up to date drivers for the correct OS) = All tests pass on Intel Diagnostic Tool

The frame rate issue has been resolved, as it was a separate issue to IMC failure in the first place (I replaced the board, substituted different memory, and substituted different processor [6950x]).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Warlen:

The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool should be fully compatible with Windows® 10, just to make sure let me give you the link to install the latest version of our tool, maybe the version you are running is not the newer one:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

That version should work properly, so , please let me know if that is the case or if the tool keeps doing the same.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am using the latest version of the IPDT.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Warlen:

According to our information the Intel® processor diagnostics tool should be fully compatible with Windows® 10.

In order for us to be able to verify the components and configuration of your PC could you please run the following tool:

SSU tool (System Support Utility)

You will be able to download it on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Once you do that, the tool will allow you to save the information as a file, so, once you save it, please attach it to this thread.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Warlen,

I just wanted to check if the problem related to the IMC memory was resolved, or if it still persists.

Also, please use the SSU tool (System Support Utility), in order for us to be able to check the specifications of your system, to find the proper solution.

Any further assistance, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
YHu19
Beginner

Results attached. It is still an issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Warlen:

Thank you very much for that information.

We tested the IPDT version 3.0.0.25 and we get the same problem with different type of processors, and it seems this is a problem related to the tool itself.

It does not mean that the memory controller on your processor is not working, is just an issue with the tool.

So, at this point, the best thing to do will be to wait for a new release or new version of the tool that should fix this problem.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Indeed, I have also tested this with a 6950x from my work, as well as a 6800k. I have also tested this on a different motherboard, and ram. The results are the same on Windows 10.

However, with Windows 8.1, the entire test passes with all of said devices.

As I mentioned previously, I believe the issue lies within the combination of Diagnostic tool, Windows 10, the new Broadwell-e.

Warlen / Yao

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Warlen:

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very useful for us in case we get a similar scenario.

Yes, actually the problem as you mentioned is happening with Windows® 10, when using Windows® 7 or 8 should work just fine.

Alberto

0 Kudos