Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14988 Discussions

Install opengl on my old laptop with Intel core 2 duo T6600 2.20GHz

Marchalves
Beginner

everytime i try to run a application it instantly says about not having opengl installede, where can i install opengl on my Dell Inspiron 1545 with the Intel core 2 duo T6600 2.20GHz processor.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to work with dell.  The T6600 did  not have graphics, so there will be a graphics chipset involved which dell can tell  you about.

Plus, this is a very old processor.   Your processor is not supported by Windows 10:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-21h2-supported-intel-processors

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, the graphics engine is in the chipset, not the processor, so there isn't (necessarily) a discrete graphics solution involved. Al is correct that this chipset-based graphics engine is not supported by Intel with Windows 10. Saying this a different way, Intel does not provide a driver for Windows 10 that supports this graphics engine.

Now, Microsoft does provide a compatibility driver that allows this graphics engine to be used with Windows 10 - but this driver is a barebones driver with poor performance and only very old support for the various graphics APIs. It is these APIs that are causing your games to complain and, in some cases, refusing to work. Unfortunately, Microsoft has announced that they will NOT be upgrading these old drivers under any circumstances. Bottom line, you are stuck with what you have.

At this point, since you have a laptop and its graphics cannot be upgraded, your only recourse if support is required will be to replace this ancient relic with something more modern.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos