Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14946 Discussions

Instant i9 14900KF thermal throttling

GeirRosset
Beginner

I am having system instability issues.

Running Intel XTU I see the CPU instantly thermal throttling and hitting 90-100C, and then staying there and thermal throttled for the duration of any stress test. I have reseated my AIO, checked thermal paste, which seems good. All fans are on high, and there are no signs of any leak in the AIO.

Running the same tests on an i7 system I never see thermal throttling and the temperature never exceeds 61C.

Motherboard is TUF gaming B660 Plus D4 WiFi.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GeirRosset
Beginner

FYI. I just updated the BIOS. Now I also get Current/EDP limit throttling, when I did not get that prior to updating the BIOS.

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

ASUS used to allow unlimited current as a standard setting and this can lead to issues such as excessive CPU temperatures. The updated BIOS is setting the Intel recommended current limit for your CPU which is why you see the Current/EDP limit throttling message.

As this is a B660 board the new BIOS should offer a choice of Intel Default Settings or the ASUS OC Profile. I would recommend the Intel Default Settings rather than the OC Profile.

There is a BIOS setting on ASUS B660 boards that was associated with instability in some cases. This is at Advanced ->Platform Misc Configuration->PCI Express Native Power Management. This setting should be set to Disabled.

The other BIOS setting you could consider is IA CEP (Current Excursion Protection). I think this is under the Tweaker's Paradise section of the BIOS, possibly the part that deals with CPU Power Management. This setting is probably set to AUTO, try setting it to Disabled.

0 Kudos
GeirRosset
Beginner

Thank you @pressed_for_time I have disabled those. All I have changed in BIOS is XMP (standard settings) and ResizeBAR enabled. Seems to have made no difference.

Strange thing is this instability appeared more or less suddenly about a week ago. Seems to impact Windows File Explorer, Chrome and Affinity Photo in particular. They crash with various symptoms. Explorer windows get black top bars, night shift suddenly turns off, web pages in Chrome or the apop itself crashes (as it did just now while typing this reply) and Affinity Photo just quits with no warning.

FYI2: Running a CPU stress test over 2 minutes now produces just the current limited warning. I'd say this "warning" should be green if it is the recommended behaviour.

0 Kudos
GeirRosset
Beginner

CHrome throws up STATUS_BREAKPOINT or STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION or some other warning every time.

0 Kudos
GeirRosset
Beginner

Now just trying to elaborate on this in this thread my whole display got a blue ting and the PC rebooted.

0 Kudos
GeirRosset
Beginner

Wanted to try an in place upgrade with the ISO downloaded from MS. Even the installer crashes to desktop with no error message.

0 Kudos
GeirRosset
Beginner

Latest development. I clean installed Windows 11. And even before the setup finishes there are BSOD and restarts forcing me to start over. Now I am back in Windows, and I haven't gotten as far as installing all the drivers yet, and my system is displaying all the same symptoms. Screen flickers. Program crashes. CHrome web page crashes etc. I am at a loss. Some sort of hardware fault that has come about suddenly? How can I find out which component is faulty? I have no idea. All I know is that this 3000 USD PC is not usable.

0 Kudos
GeirRosset
Beginner

Tried with a different GPU, known to work. No difference.

Is it possible to run all the stress tests for 5 minutes each with no errors with a faulty motherboard or CPU?

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello GeirRosset,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please check your email inbox, as we have sent you a message regarding our concern.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos