Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14885 Discussions

Intel 14900KS - Where is 6.2 Ghz?

Lorvader
Novice

Hello Intel,

I have recently acquired a computer with an ASUS Maximus Dark Hero Z790 motherboard and an Intel 14900KS processor, the processor after updating the BIOS of the motherboard according to Intel specifications for this processor does not even reach 6.0 Ghz, and in all the performance tests are far below the previous generation Intel i9 13900K.

Some questions for intel:

Where are the 6.2 Ghz that the specifications of the 14900KS processor show?

What is Intel's solution for this going to be?

Will Intel give me my money back?

Please, we need a solution for this!!!!

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

I have no connection with Intel other than as a user of Intel hardware.

Based on the  CPU-Z bench results submitted the performance of your 14900KS looks OK to me. CPU-Z in my experience is not completely consistent and some variation in its scoring system would be normal. Your processor scores 942.7 in Single Thread, the maximum score recorded by CPU-Z for a 14900KS is 961. Multi Thread is 16342.7 versus CPU-Z maximum of 16879.

I note also that the 942.7 in Single Thread compares with 902 for a 13900K, which again seems about right.

The latest BIOS for your board is 1302. While I don't think the Single Thread score would increase much an improvement in Multi Thread could be possible if you tried the ASUS Advanced OC Profile. Provided that is your system has the cooling capacity to support it.

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello pressed_for_time,

Thank you very much for your response and interest.

I have tried the AC profile and the AI ​​profile since I have liquid cooling for the ASUS CPU, specifically ROG RYUO III 360, also have a Suprim 4090 X Liquid Nvidia. When I activate these profiles, the scores are still slightly below 13900K but the system becomes unstable, causing unexpected reboots and crashes.

The question is not that you have to activate a specific profile to obtain maximum performance according to the manufacturer's specifications and even less have to overclock a system that is apparently already overclocked, the question is: Where are the 6.2 Gh promised by the manufacturer (Intel) specifications?.

I think this is reportable for false advertising. So I will wait for a prompt resolution from Intel or I will initiate the appropriate legal actions.

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor I

Not Intel Personnel ...But I just saw a YT video where it showed 6.2GHz speed on one core for a few seconds or so running Cinebench R23. The 6.2GHz is the maximum attainable speed for that processor, making it the fastest CPU ever. A quick search on YT on this processor will prove this to be the case.

Also, download the popular Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It will show you the available default CPU speeds that you may overclock (OC), though at your own risk.

Lastly, make sure your power profiles in BIOS do not hamper the CPU from reaching maximum performance...again knowing that using some of these extreme OC settings will increase CPU power dissipation, affecting overall reliability in the long term.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Thanks for the reply SmartOne_2000,

It must be the fastest on the cardboard packaging box and on the silkscreen where it indicates its specifications, because in reality it is slower than the Intel i9-13900K HT CPU.

So no matter how much it announces that the i9-14900KS HT CPU is the fastest, it must not be true, in all the Benchmarks it falls below.

Curious, this aspect of having more Ghz and not being able to make use of them for fear of burning out the CPU and having it stay on copper.

It is a real shame that they do not provide a solution to this problem, Intel's prestige is falling through the floor.

They should have it looked at, perhaps some SPA sessions will clarify their ideas.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

Thank you for posting in the communities. It would be best to first diagnose the CPU to determine if there is an issue with it's frequency. Additionally, we are prepared to process a replacement should the product be confirmed defective. 

For now, may I please know what software are you using to monitor the performance of your CPU? You may also share with your SSU logs so we can check for possible errors. Lastly, are there any crashes that you have experienced in the system? If you do, please list out the name of the game/software. 

I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello RamyerM_Intel,

Thank you very much for responding to my request and sorry for the delay, I have been traveling. The system is stable, it installed the latest Asus update and the Bios is configured with the parameters recommended by Intel, what happens is that with that configuration and as I indicated in the previous posts the processor does not reach 6.2 Ghz and is much more slower than an i9 13900K series processor.

This, as you will understand, is unacceptable.

I attach the requested SSU log.

Waiting for your news, receive a cordial greeting.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

I am just checking in on this thread. Feel free to respond to my previous one so we can assist you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello RamyerM_Intel,

I´m reply your question, Are you still yet here?

Thanks in advanced,

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor I

In my experience with my 13900K processor, you'll never reach top rated clock speeds with the Intel Default Profiles, since they are designed to prevent the CPU from overheating at high clock speeds (unless you have a superb AIO that can handle the processor heat with superb airflow from the chassis) by lowering the clock speed.

I could only reach 5.1-5.2GHz instead of the all-core 5.5GHz in Cinebench R23 when running their profiles (performance and extreme). But I get the single core maximum 5.8GHz clock speed when needed.

I ended up using Asus's optimized no-holds-barred settings for maximum performance, but watching out for overheats. Your results may vary.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader, 

I am certainly here, upon checking the logs, you did impressive with making sure the BIOS is up to date. I do have here some recommendations to try and troubleshoot the issue that you are experiencing. Kindly please follow the steps at this article: My Intel® Core™ Processor Does Not Reach the Maximum Turbo Boost Frequency

If the issue still persists after doing so, I kindly ask for a screenshot of the stress test results conducted using our Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to further investigate the issue. Please also let us know of the cooling system that you are currently using. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello RamyerM_Intel,

I have carried out all the actions that you mention in your post, without doing any overclocking and leaving the parameters recommended by Intel in the BIOS configuration, the processor does not reach the specified speed, it remains at a 5.53 Ghz, for that I would have bought another cheaper processor since as you know this is an expensive processor.

I don't want to overclock the processor, I just want to get the speed specified by Intel without having to do anything special. However, I have tried to make the adjustment recommended by the Intel Tunning application that you mention in your post and the speed reached remains at another 5.66 Ghz, but with instability in the system.

As Intel will understand when I buys the processor, i expected to get what was stated in the specifications and advertising about this micro, but it is not like that, this does not comply.

I detail the cooling system and the specifications of the rest of the components so that you can analyze it, I also attach the screenshots of the tests carried out, and the results from Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64 Bit 4.1.9.41.W.MP version.

The box for computer is a HAF 700 EVO from CoolerMaster with full coolers attached:

https://www.coolermaster.com/en-global/products/haf-700-evo/

The motherboard is a ROG ASUS Z90 Maximus Dark Hero:

https://rog.asus.com/latin/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-dark-hero/helpdesk_download/

The memory is Corsair Dominator Titanium 2 x KIT 64 GB (2x32) 6600 MT/s CL32 (The memories are configured at 5600 Hz since I have all the banks full and the 6600 only works with two free banks in 2x32 configuration):

https://www.corsair.com/es/es/p/memory/cmp64gx5m2x6600c32/dominator-titanium-rgb-2x32gb-ddr5-dram-6600mt-s-cl32-intel-xmp-memory-kit-cmp64gx5m2x6600c32

The cooler liquid for CPU is a ROG ASUS RYUO III 360 ARGB:

https://rog.asus.com/latin/cooling/cpu-liquid-coolers/rog-ryuo/rog-ryuo-iii-360-argb-model/helpdesk_manual/

The VGA is a MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM X 24G:

https://es-store.msi.com/products/msi-geforce-rtx-4090-suprim-x-24g-tarjetas-graficas?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2figqc6NhwMVpZeDBx2HWgPoEAAYAiAAEgLHOPD_BwE&variant=44308607959218

The hard disk is a 2 x KINGSTON FURY RENEGADE 2TB M.2 NVME PCIE 4.0:

https://www.kingston.com/es/ssd/gaming/kingston-fury-renegade-nvme-m2-ssd

Thanking you again for your attention, I look forward to your response, receive a cordial greeting.

Lorvader

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Lorvader,

Thank you for your response.

We appreciate the screenshots that you have consolidated and provided.

We would like to ask your cooperation to provide additional information, which are vital for us to derive viable suggestions for your concern.

Kindly provide the following:

Please access your motherboard’s BIOS and look for the following parameters and provide their current values:

·      Long Duration Package Power Limit

·      Short Duration Package Power Limit

We will wait for your reply post.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello Alfred S,

Thank you very much for your attention, attached I send you the requested information, the parameters are those configured by Asus, with the recommended Intel profile.

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos