Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15002 Discussions

Intel 14900KS - Where is 6.2 Ghz?

Lorvader
Novice

Hello Intel,

I have recently acquired a computer with an ASUS Maximus Dark Hero Z790 motherboard and an Intel 14900KS processor, the processor after updating the BIOS of the motherboard according to Intel specifications for this processor does not even reach 6.0 Ghz, and in all the performance tests are far below the previous generation Intel i9 13900K.

Some questions for intel:

Where are the 6.2 Ghz that the specifications of the 14900KS processor show?

What is Intel's solution for this going to be?

Will Intel give me my money back?

Please, we need a solution for this!!!!

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Lorvader
Novice

Hello Ramyer M,

The plan is configured for high performance. However, I´m attaching the test again with Asus Advanced OC profile, verifying that the energy plan is the one attached in the screenshot.

Thanks again for the help and support.

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader, 

Thank you for sharing this details. I will now proceed in coordinating this with our team and get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

Thank you for patiently waiting, upon coordinating with our team, we want to talk about a few things: 

We want to note that on this thread, a community user mentioned that 6.2 is not a permanent value during workload, which is accurate. This is because it is a turbo-related value, which is also limited by timing.

To better see values obtained by each core, preferably max values, we recommend using HWInfo with 500ms (or smaller) pooling interval. It is possible to change pooling interval in XTU, but to set your expectation, XTU doesn't save max values.

Usually, the 6.2GHz frequency appears at the beginning of a workload. As the workload continues, the frequency tends to stabilize and may decrease from the initial value. However, it is possible to see this frequency during normal Windows operations or even in an idle state due to Windows' task prioritization.

This being said, we recommend setting CPU values in BIOS to performance or extreme based on the Power Delivery Profile for i9 -14900K which will push CPU to a state where it would be easier to achieve higher clock values as the CPU will be getting more power, but still within range.

Let us know if this step worked for you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello  RamyerM_Intel,

First of all, thanks for you support.

I am patient, but I am unable to use my equipment stably and with the frequencies that you print on the processor box and in your advertising.

If I understood correctly, they are proposing that I lower Power Limit 1 (PL1) and Power Limit 2 (PL2) to 253W and that with that I will be able to reach the frequency of 6.2 Ghz.

I will do it, but first let me tell you something: This is a monumental botch. The processor heats up too much in all configurations, I have applied the BIOS correction for ASUS DARK HERO 1402 version published in 2024/07/12, based on the problem they found with the famous algorithm, although as they point out it is not the root of the problem.

The system with the configuration recommended by Intel (Performance or Extreme) and that the motherboard manufacturer has implemented. The system remains unstable, sometimes it restarts without meaning to and without having a workload, this is intolerable.

Look for a solution that is already taking too long.

Thank you so much,

Greetings,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

I want to let you know that based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. 

For a more detailed explanation you may also visit this post. 

I apologize if it is taking us sometime to troubleshoot this for you. Rest assured that if the issue still exists after following our previous recommendation in adjusting the BIOS settings, we are prepared to help you with the replacement. 

Feel free to let us know of the results. I will be waiting for your reply .

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos